Chapter 16: Mistakes (were made?)

Shinsou returns home Sunday night with a firmed resolve and a new plan of action:

* Get the rest of the names marked off his list.

In the meantime, act natural. Midori may have seen him meeting his former teacher in the park, so he has a story lined up in case his neighbor asks.

He does not.

In fact, he pretends like he hadn't seen anything at all, and doesn't mention anything about the park the previous night. (That's strange, and a little suspicious.)

He likes Midori, though, despite the strangely suspicious behavior he's exhibiting. And as he slumps into his seat across from the guy, it's obvious that he feels the same.

Whether he's an innocent civilian with bad luck, or playing for the other team and possibly knows who he is, following him for reasons... Hitoshi wants to get to know him better.

As he's managed to knock more and more names from his list of possible suspects, signs point disturbingly close to Midori's direction. He can't judge without knowing something more concrete than a maybe, or a suspicion, so getting to know him better might help him decide how to handle an eventual reveal and direct questioning. (Fuck, he hopes he never has to interrogate his cute neighbor.)

He starts with something simple and innocent, a little walk to go see more cats. Midori seems to like them alright. (Probably not as much as Hitoshi likes them, but close enough.)

He seems so wary, though, of his intentions. It stings a little, seeing the previous blind enthusiasm shift into uncertainty.

He'll earn this skittish guy's trust if he has to drag him to every cat-spot he can think of.

They sit in the café together for a few hours, talking little as Midori spends most of his time staring pensively out of the café windows. Hitoshi offers that they go sit alongside the glass, but Midori gives him a half-hearted shrug and frowns into his coffee. There's a wrinkle between his brows and a tense set to his shoulders.

Something is clearly bothering the guy, but he hesitates to pry.

This is a terrible idea, he thinks before he stands. Midori's pensive stare flicks up to his face in surprise. He wonders if he thinks he's already leaving, because that looks like a flash of disappointment in his expression. Definitely a terrible idea. He steps around the table and moves to sit right next to Midori, commanding him to scoot over as he slides into the bench at his left.

"Um," he says, staring up at him with wide green eyes. Hitoshi can feel the side of his body go rigid against the contact as his cheeks turn pink.

Hitoshi reaches across the table to collect his mug and keeps his hands firmly on the tabletop where Midori can see them. He glances to the side from the corner of his eyes and peers down at the blushing male. "You look like you need either a distraction or a hug. Tell me if I need to get the hell away from you. I won't be offended."

Hitoshi wiggles his fingers the same way he'd seen Midori do the other day, and the largest cat in the café struts in their direction.