Chapter 9: (definitely not stress) Baking

His neighbor is ridiculously pretty.

He's not sure what it is, exactly. His pale coloring seems even paler in comparison to the dark marks beneath his eyes, and combined with the loose, casual clothing, he seems so fragile, like he's one bad day from falling to pieces.

Izuku wonders again if he sleeps well. Then he kind of wants to cuddle him until he can relax and get a good night's rest.

He's still blinking sleepily up into those surreal violet eyes when the kitchen timer goes off.

He shuffles back into the kitchen feeling a bit dazed before he mentally screams in realization that he's just invited his cute neighbor into his home.

(He is now very much awake.)

He turns off the buzzer and then grabs the closest dish towel he can find to hurriedly wipe the drying puddle of drool from the table where he'd fallen asleep.

The towel is tossed into the sink with only half a glance as he panic-checks the rest of the visible apartment for random trash, dishes, or laundry he's neglected.

He leans just past the edge of the kitchen to peek down the short hallway leading to the other rooms, then hops once (twice) to peek over the edge of the couch.

Everything looks mostly in order. His laptop went to sleep sometime after he did, so he takes a bracing breath and tries to resume the task he'd come in here to take care of in the first place.

It's fine.

Tuesday afternoon flies by in a terrible haze of pain and embarrassed delight. His neighbor spends hours (minutes? He can't be sure because time feels a little broken) at his kitchen counter drinking coffee.

They exchange stupid nicknames, and Izuku almost laughs (almost, because laughing hurts) at how close his selected nickname is to his last name. The sound of it coming from Murasaki's mouth makes him want to close his eyes and bite his lower lip.

Swoon.

(Izuku grimaces at the shooting pain that results from the absent-minded nibbling.)

Izuku learns that one of the best (worst) remedies for constantly thinking about kissing someone is a mouth injury.

It hurts when he smiles.

It hurts when he frowns.

It hurts when he opens his mouth to say anything.

He barely avoids getting any spicy sauce in the cut when he takes a taste of what he's cooking. He hadn't really thought that out too well. The spices he added earlier will be agonizing if he makes a single mistake while eating.

(Maybe he'll slather on some protective balm and hope for the best. It smells a little too good to not eat.)

The warmth from the coffee threatens to sear against his injury like fire. (It takes forever to cool down.)

And his neighbor, bless his beautiful face, seems hell-bent on making him laugh. He's damned lucky that blushing doesn't hurt, too, or he might spend his evening crying and make the poor man feel bad.