Chapter 16

Vanessa

I furiously washed my hands in the bathroom, then I caught my reflection in the bathroom mirror, this was ridiculous! Why did I agree to come here?!

Felix's grandmother had called him, she was in town and she wanted to see us. We both didn't have the heart to tell the poor woman that we were broken up, we'd tell her after she'd gone through her surgery which we hoped she'd live through. But if she doesn't, then at least she'll go with a lie, believing her only grandchild was happily dating a girl he'd end up marrying one day. A lie.

When we met Ian with Irene, I couldn't help but roll with the same lie. Maybe it was the tug at my heart when I saw them hold hands and smile at each other that made me want to seem as happy as they were.

Now I'm at his mansion having lunch!

My face was beet red, all this was nerve-wracking. How do you smile at a woman knowing you've screwed her husband who is next room with your ex and now fake boyfriend? How do you ignore the guilt rising from the throb of your nana every time you hear the deep voice of her husband echo through the walls and find their way to your ears?

I groaned out of frustration. I ended up splashing my face with cold water to try and wake up from this nonsense. All I had to do was make it through lunch and leave. I'll probably never see Ian again. Which was good for all of us.

But the moment I walked out of the bathroom, I knew my plans were ruined.

Ian was waiting for me outside.

When I stepped into the corridor, he walked up to me, closing the already short distance in between, our bodies pressing into each other, all my limbs went weak.

"W-what are you doing?" I stuttered, sounding a little out of breath. My heart was beating a thousand times faster than it normally should. "Y-your w-wife is-" He shut me up with a kiss, pushing me back into the bathroom. I knew I shouldn't, but my body betrayed me. For the first few seconds, my mind communicated with my body, don't do this, this is wrong... It said. But my body wouldn't listen.

My lips moved with his, fast, hungrily. Ian thrust his tongue in my mouth and I moaned, he smiled and opened the water at the sink. His hands played with my ass and mine played with the broad of his back. I missed him so much I could cry.

Then he pulled out of the kiss, still holding me in his arms.

"Why are you back with him?" He asked.

With my mind being hazy, I wanted to say I'm not. But I got a hold of myself before I spill the beans. "Why do you care?" I wriggled out of his hold, not that it helped.

"I care!" He snapped. I stopped wriggling, standing frozen and just stared at him with wide surprised eyes. "What? Am I not supposed to?" He tested.

Was he? I didn't know anymore. And I didn't want to think anything out of what was going on between us. His wife. His wife that was making Chicken casserole for us with so much love... Before I knew it, tears were streaming down my cheeks, god I felt terrible. Up until now I've been selfish and refused to feel guilty about what I was doing but this wasn't how I was raised.

I was a homewrecker!

Ian wrapped his arms around me, saying soothing words but I broke out of the embrace and walked out of the bathroom. I found Irene in the kitchen, she was setting the table with the help of Felix. She looked at me with the softest eyes, the way a mother looks at her daughter.

"My cat died." I sobbed, Felix frowned, confused. I didn't have a cat, he knew that. Ian did too. But Irene didn't. "Beate called. I," sob, "I have to be home, I'm sorry Irene."

"It's alright, I'm sorry about your cat." She was pulling me into a comforting hug.

She pulled out and held me at arm's length, "I'm sorry about the lunch." I apologized. I was genuinely sorry. For having her prepare such a mouth watering meal and for us not to eat it, for kissing her husband in the bathroom...

"It's fine, there's always next time." She smiled and I felt a dagger plunge through my heart, I deserved that.

I faked a smile and left with Felix.

Ian didn't say a thing as soon as I started lying about the cat, he just stood there and watched me with a mixture of emotions.

We were finally at my place, I thanked Felix but before I could jump out of his Jeep, he spoke, "are you okay Vanessa?" My heart swelled and shattered into tiny fragments.

The tears were back, this time I didn't let them flow, I angrily wiped them with the back of my hand.

"What's going on, talk to me." He urged.

I didn't know where to begin. How could I explain this without feeling shameful?

He smiled, placing his hand at my nape and playing with the area. "You're beautiful Ness. You're smart and fun. Any guy would be happy to have you..." He paused, "it took me losing you to know this," he released a sad chuckle, "but you're the best thing that has ever happened to me. I'm sorry I couldn't give you what you deserve; the best. And Ian can't give you that. It's a losing game you're playing Ness, and I hope you accept that before you get hurt."

I sniffed, then smiled, "thanks Felix." I said then we hugged.

I watched Felix drive off then climbed the steps leading to my veranda where I found Liam waiting. He was biting his teeth, a sign that he was angry.

"Hi." I waved.

"Hi." He bit.

"You okay?" I checked.

He sighed, rubbing his face. He opened his mouth to start talking then he paused, sucking in a breath, then with a frown he questioned, "are you back together with Felix?" I could hear the anger in his voice.

"No. I'm not."

"How do you explain him dropping you off then?" He raised one eyebrow, "and the hug." He shrugged.

I sighed, unlocking my door. We entered and sat in the dining room. "Felix's grandma wanted to see us_"

"So you're lying to the old woman." He said with a disapproving tone.

"She's going through her surgery soon_"

"She deserves the truth. Everybody deserves the truth, even you."

My brows knitted in a frown, "what's that supposed to mean?"

He sighed, "I have never questioned your choices," he started, "I've always been there to wipe your tears when something goes wrong, and it always does. I'm okay with that. But are you okay with being hurt?"

"I'm not_"

"Nessa you're out to get hurt. You're looking for it_"

"Everybody is telling me that_"

"Then maybe you should start listening to what people are saying!" He snapped. "I wish you could see yourself Vanessa. I wish you could see how beautiful, how amazing you are. Only then you'd know you don't deserve these jerks."

I wish I could too.