Chapter 9 - Emotion

The next day, everyone was on edge.

Neville briefly recounted the events of last night at breakfast. They'd managed to calm Cho down enough to take her to the hospital wing. Madam Pomphrey administered a Calming Draught immediately and did a diagnostic of Cho's vitals. She was able to pinpoint the traces of Amor Videri quickly enough. Luckily Slughorn had an antidote on hand and Cho was set to rights.

Apparently she was disoriented from the Calming Draught and the multitude of emotions she'd just lived against her will. According to Slughorn, the dose she had taken had been brewed by a heavy hand, no doubt by someone who either was lacking in potion skill or who simply didn't care about the consequences of quick potionwork. Either way, people needed to keep an eye out.

McGonagall had returned to the Ball as soon as Cho was stabilised. She'd made a stern announcement, warning students about the dangers of love potions and instructed Prefects to return everyone to their dorms. Nobody felt much like partying afterwards anyway and the night fizzled out with sighs of disappointment and confusion.

New pamphlets appeared on the bulletin boards first thing in the morning. House parties were banned and there would be no further Balls unless the person who poisoned Cho was found. This included Quidditch after parties, to the dismay of most of the student body.

Hermione thought the measures put in place were adequate, especially in the aftermath of the war. People were more bonded but also more mistrustful of each other. Furthermore, this wasn't just a silly rule break. This person would be assuredly expelled, and perhaps even convicted of criminal charges. Hermione hoped they did the right thing by letting Astoria off the hook. It made Hermione even more determined to find out who this awful person was, who seemed to care so little about people. More and more, Hermione worried they might be dealing with some sort of psychopath afterall.

"Padma is organising a group to go visit Cho this afternoon, before she's discharged. Hannah and I want her to be sure there are no hard feelings. If anyone wants to come show their support, I'm sure it would mean a lot," Neville was announcing to everyone.

Hermione nodded and volunteered. It might be good to check up on her. It was hard to erase the sight of her hanging onto Neville, pleading for him not to go. Cho had lived through a lot. They all had.

When they made their visit, Cho looked tired and subdued.

Hermione had to give Neville and Hannah credit. They had brought flowers and were extra kind. Cho was beaming by the end of it, though a darkness lingered in her eyes. She had been mentally violated and that darkness would be there to stay awhile. You didn't just bounce back from being forced into feeling things beyond your control.

Cho smiled at the room at large, though her smile faltered when she saw Hermione.

Hermione gave Cho her warmest demeanour and approached the bedside.

"Glad to see you're feeling better, Cho."

Cho looked uncertain.

"Thank you, Hermione. Is everyone else all right?"

Hermione assured her that everyone was fine and gave an update on the new rules and regulations.

"Well, that's good. I'm glad they didn't axe out Quidditch altogether. I really hope they find the awful person who did this," Cho answered.

Hermione vowed in her head that she would try her hardest to do just that.

"Hermione...there's something you should know."

Hermione moved in a bit closer. Everyone else had resumed chatting with each other. Only Hermione was listening to Cho.

"The goblet I drank out of," Cho continued, "It was one of the ones you and Ginny handed to me. I can't be sure which but..."