Chapter 29, La Sangre Es La Sangre

Two days later, 8 p.m., the house

Pote and Teresa had been discussing the chances of the Ndulani family who controlled the coke supply in this part of the country figuring out there was a new player on the market before James would be released and they could wrap the whole affair up. It occurred to them that Palesa might decide to seek them out even afterwards, however it seemed unlikely as at that point he would have no leverage and he would be fearful of them due to having a pretty good idea who they were.

However, when it rained, it really poured! In the afternoon of the day Kelly Anne had gone in for surgery, Anderson notified them that there had been an attempt on the life of one of Palesa's men. They were not sure if it was a real attempt or just a message was being sent. Teresa looked and felt worried and after playing scenarios in her head for hours decided that damage control was necessary because she could not risk the Ndulanis finding out about them.

"Are you ready, Pote?", she said looking at him closely.

"Carajo, Teresa!", he said butting out his cigarette.

"Carajo, Pote!", she replied: "I see no other option. The risk of doing nothing is too high!"

He waited for her in the garage, preparing one of the SUVs for the drive to Limpopo as they couldn't leave a fresh trail boarding a plane, when he heard soft steps and turned around.

Teresa was dressed in a sporty outfit, but what made him stare was the neat low bun she had put her hair in, the split right in the middle of her forehead and it all gave him goosebumps as it reminded him of a time long gone but not forgotten: "You haven't worn your hair like that for twenty years now...", Pote said slowly.

Her eyes opened a little wider and she said: "It means nothing...just that the hair may get in my way...we will need to leave our car in a town close by and steal another one with which we'll get on the highway...there may be cameras and I cannot afford proof that a vehicle registered to us has been spotted on the way to Limpopo."

Teresa tried to answer in a practical, almost nonchalant way, but after she had quickly tied her hair and taken a quick look in the mirror, she had had to divert her eyes as she thought a vision of a the same woman, in white, chasing the prey, would appear. And Teresa realized she could associate with this woman, but she definitely didn't feel any desire or excitement about it! Just sheer determination to straighten the account out!

Pote nodded and realized there were some tools he would need on him to steal a vehicle...or most likely vehicles. He took out two guns that he kept hidden in the house and after they exchanged looks, it was obvious they were not adequately prepared. Pote grimaced and said: "I don't like the ammo we have..."

"This cannot be all we have?" Teresa was not looking forward to visiting black market dealers in the sketchy neighborhoods of the city.

"Unregistered guns...yes...that's all we have unless..." he stopped for a second and then added: " We need ammo and vests as well... let's pay your husband's shooting range a visit...he has a secret room with everything!"

Teresa had practiced shooting occasionally, she would say for fun more than anything, but she had no clue how James ran the Range and what he had there: "How do you know Pote? He told you?"

Pote shook his head 'yes' and almost smiled: "You married a soldier... remember... did he not manage the floor in Dallas and Phoenix and New Orleans?...He's always prepared your soldier, Teresita...You thought he'd ever give all of it up?" and he climbed in the driver's seat as she moved slowly around the SUV to get in the passenger seat. He didn't call her Teresita often and the connotation of it brought unwelcome memories.