Chapter 20, Las Familias

La Sangre Es La Sangre

Five years later

"I don't like him at all, Kelly Anne...at all!" Pote grumbled and switched out the night light on his side. The Galvez family master bedroom boasted the biggest bed one had ever seen as Pote took space and liked his space, while Kelly Anne wanted him to be content, so that he would complain less. However, Pote's signature grumble had not been lost over the years and as far as she had figured out was not going anywhere.

Almost five years had passed since Camila Vargas had resurfaced and Pote and James had made a trip to the States to 'deal with the ramifications of decisions Teresa made ...or did not make when she was young and soft' as Pote would say!

Life after Teresa Mendoza had gone back to her native Mexico to face her memories and fears had been very easy going and successful for everyone in the big house.

Kelly Anne had ventured into horseback riding, horse breeding, competing, the whole kit and caboodle! Lena had taken up competitive horse back riding and extensive training at the stables that Kelly Anne had had built, with James's and Teresa's agreement, despite Pote's objections.

Lena loved it, the trainer was doing a marvelous job, Kelly Anne competed several times herself as an amateur rider and then had purchased three racing horses and had made some decent income from the venture that had her travel all over the country. And in the competitive circles of horseback riding, Lena had met her boyfriend of five months, one Stephan Visser, a jockey himself, some six years older than her, of an important old Dutch family who had moved to South Africa three generations back and who considered themselves part of the 'founding fathers' group. According to Kelly Anne, he was not only good looking, decently tall, with green eyes and light brown hair, but a very good rider, as well as a decent young man who was planning to study for a physiotherapist to treat sports injuries, especially those incurred by horse riders.

"I bet you'd dislike anyone who'd be her boyfriend!", Kelly Anne said flatly and adjusted her cover. Even intimacy and sex these days were not enough to make Pote complain less. He hadn't been a cry baby when they had met, but now in his late 50s he just had no patience and refused to get it in his head that the young generation was different.

" I bet you they are sleeping together!" he said and she felt him turn to her and was sure he was staring at her in the dark, expecting her to counter.

" She is 17 next month...I am not saying she should be sleeping with him, but I wouldn't put it past her as she seems pretty star struck!" Kelly Anne sighed.

"And you are ok with that?" Pote shifted on his side.

"Well...a few minutes back you made some very pleasurable sounds ...I mean you can't deprive the others from the pleasures of life..." Kelly Anne yawned and turned to her side.

"Hmm", came the grumble again: "How old were you when ....you started having sex?" came the surly question.

"What line of questioning is this?" she countered, then added: "Yeah...ok...I was 16, and I had dated someone in high school for three months and we ...ended up doing the deed...so what...are you expecting her to stay a virgin...I mean, I don't understand what your fear is?", she signed again but didn't turn to him.

"Carajo!" and he fell silent. Kelly Anne herself didn't feel ready for her first born to become an adult, but there was no way around it, so she tried to figure out if Pote really had a reason for concern or was just getting older by the day.

"So, if he were...what...Mexican...would you feel better about it?" she said realizing he would take it as a tease.

"That'd be a good start," he sighed himself: "I don't like her boyfriend...he is six years older...I know what's in the head of a 23 year old man, thank you very much!" he said.