Chapter 1, Trust

Notes: The story takes place nine years after Teresa, James and Kelly Anne successfully escaped to Langebaan, South Africa, and five years after Pote served his sentence and joined them. South Africa is a country where many accents of English are spoken and thus it provides a perfect cover.

Teresa and James have their first son, Tony, who is 4 at the time the events take place. Tony is born the year after Pote's return as once Pote completed the mission of eliminating Boaz, Teresa felt safe to start a family. They have a second son, George, who is 3, born the year after.
The events happen in the future, however they also relate to the past, before and after the escape from the narco world, and before they are forced to look back!

===

James: Peeling Off A Few More Layers

James burst in the hallway with the intention of grabbing his keys from the side table and rushing out as he was late for the meeting with the municipal committee and didn't fancy having to speed on the narrow road to the town. This meeting was crucial, and he needed to be on time as he was hoping to get an idea about the permit for the shooting range. He itched to shoot again even only for fun, and he knew Pote itched too, no matter how dedicated he seemed to the Potemkin Cantina where in the last three years he had hired two chefs and some more sous chefs and James hadn't seen him do anything in the kitchen but walk around, belly forward and give instructions. Teresa wasn't agreeable to a shooting range as it involved guns and ammo and "dealing with unsavory people" . He wondered how she came up with such words like "unsavory", but he had let her, and Kelly Anne do whatever they pleased with the mall construction, operation, and the tenants; he had agreed that Kelly Anne's proposed winery around Langebaan was a great addition to the portfolio, so he wasn't planning on backing down about the shooting range. No man, the security company with its guards and their training had kept him busy but now he had a manager in place to run things and James needed a new challenge, and he wanted it to involve shooting! So, getting a damn permit was imperative!

And right before grabbing his keys he heard Teresa's anguished sobs and quickly turned the corner into the wide open living space. She was there, on the floor, bent in two, holding her middle and in his shock, he realized there was a decently big pool of blood underneath her. He shouted her name, took her by the shoulders and turned her around to make sure she was fine, his mind still not being able to tie the blood to anything that made sense. She looked up at him with teary red eyes and said, "Need to get to the hospital", then swallowed and added "I'm not in pain, it's a miscarriage......that's what the blood is...". What was she talking about? His mind went blank for a moment, then it got clarity. Miscarriage? She miscarried? She must have been pregnant? After her almost dying with placenta previa gone south at George's birth, they had decided on an IUD and had agreed that there would be no more children. How can she be pregnant?

He had not had a stressful situation since the events at George's birth, and the truth was that he had been shaken to his core as for the seven years before they had lived mainly a peaceful life where late subcontractors for the mall project or late rent had been the only issue of significance. Tony had been born after four hours of labor, and when he had made it to the hospital and was running in the corridor scouting the numbers looking for room #24, he had heard her yell his name, like she had done in the Bolivian jungle long time ago, her voice chilling his bones, but then after he had burst in the room, she had calmed down, agreed to take the gas as it had been too late for an epidural and Tony had been born an hour later with no issues.

When her second time with George had turned into a nightmare, the medical staff had started speaking fast, they had called some code, put a mask on her face and whisked him out of the room, he had been shaken to his core with fear he might lose her. He had not been able to think and breathe and clearly remembered repeating in vain to himself to take control of his emotions, but his training had not seemed to work. Then Pote had arrived, walked him out on the adjacent parking lot, given him a cigarette and the wait had begun.