Chapter 14, Cuentas Pendientes II

Hermosillo

The drive form Phoenix to the border had been uneventful but the border crossing was interesting as they were travelling on passports issued in different countries. Teresa was travelling with her real South African passport listing Culiacan, Mexico as her birth place, while James was travelling with the fake British passport he had secured before the trip. She had to use her full charms to convince the border official that she was returning to her country of birth to deal with paperwork and legal matters as she had been living abroad for a very long time.

When they finally got to the first restaurant area on the highway right after the sign for Hermosillo, they had been on the road for about eight hours straight and both were feeling the need to get out and stretch their legs. James lit up right away and while Teresa went to the bathroom, he contemplated la cerveza fria (cold beer) advertised on a big sign by the restaurant. They looked at each other tiredly and decided that the cold beer and the promise of fresh food was too much to be passed for the sake of reaching Culiacan today.

The restaurant was not fancy, but neat and service was great. The girl attended them right away, James had gulped in the first beer and had her bring him a second one before she had taken the food order in.

After finishing her nachos Teresa sat sipping her drink and staring blankly in front of her. James felt that it was the right moment to bring up the subject of what her plan entailed. She was tired by the trip and the alcohol had made her eyes look larger and mistier, but she fixed them on James and said meditatively, putting her hand over his and curling her fingers over his: "You truly warmed my heart...when you said you wanted to give me a real American passport now...you know...for me to feel like I belong...that I have deserved it...but what I really want...and need...is to get back to my roots", she gave him a lopsided smile and closely studied his face to see if he understood. As he only raised his eyebrows, she continued: "When I ran, I had nothing...I was a fugitive who was not safe neither here, nor in the place where I ran to...I am a Mexicana...this is my place...this is the passport I need to have...the document that I am really entitled to and I want to get it...and maybe then I can feel like I am not a fugitive anymore...unwelcome in my own county.", she sighed still holding both his eyes and the hold of her hand over his.

"You need closure?" he said nodding slowly.

"Yes", she replied and briefly closed her eyes thankful that he had understood. She realized that there was a risk identifying herself to the Mexican authorities in Culiacan in the process of applying for her documents, as despite all charges for the murder of the former Governor Vargas against her having been dropped, there still could be ill-wishers who undoubtedly would receive information that she had resurfaced. But James had understood her need, the need that had started forming shape in her mind the moment he had mentioned getting her an US passport, the need which had moved to her heart over the next few days and had given her perspective.

===

They had found a hotel closer to the center of the city, a ten-minute walk form the old town's central market plaza, in an area full of old colonial buildings, narrow cobbled streets with lanterns and a lot of trees that projected peaceful charm. It was a long hot day and after they had taken showers and rested, Teresa sat on the balcony enjoying the falling dusk. Then she heard the sound of street mariachi music in the distance and her heart warmed, while her eyes suddenly overflew. She wiped them but at this moment James joined her on the balcony and couldn't hide the surprise in his eyes from seeing her so emotional.

"I am sorry", she sniffled, "Not sure what has gotten over me..." she mumbled. He rubbed her back in circles a few times and said: "I would call this melancholy...you are back to where you started and I understand you need it to assert...your identity...just be prepared that not all memories will be pleasant...so, love...when you need to cry, it's okay...I'm here...as long as it makes you feel better."

Queen of the South - My Season 6: Full Circleजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें