Chapter 27, Teresa Valdez

Pote and Teresa flew to Limpopo on the earliest morning flight as James had been given visitation rights of one visit for family members per month and weekly visits for the lawyers. Anderson's information suggested that he would need cash and smokes inside as everything else was provided including disposable shavers and nail clips, which fact didn't surprise Pote. Anderson warned that secret cell phones were forbidden, and he recommended that they do not risk sending him one with the other items that his warden contact had agreed to smuggle.

Pote insisted that Teresa remain in the vehicle while he met the contact. They followed the instructions closely and were now parked on the farthest side of an industrial parking lot with only several other cars around them.

A dark sedan slowly appeared in the distance, made the turn into the parking lot and parked in three spots over from them. Pote got out looking suspiciously at all directions, one hand holding the paperbag with smokes and chocolate bars, the other on the gun on his back.

The warden was a tall lanky man, with a shaven head and a two-inch beard, who folded his arms in front of his body and waited for Pote to approach.

"You delivering stuff for Valdez?" he said evenly.

"Yes," Pote replied in the same manner, then dug out the roll of cash from his pocket and handed it over: "It's a good amount, cabron...make sure he gets all of it!"

"You Mexican?", the man took both the roll and the paperbag and his eyes moved to the car; he squinted a little as he had noticed that there was someone else inside but as the windows were tinted, he couldn't see well.

"What's it to you?", Pote didn't like giving additional information, and Anderson had told everyone not to share any details unless forced.

"Nothing man...just an observation...my sister is married to one and as he and I...you see...enjoy our tequilas every other night...I happen to know a lot about your country...I find its western provinces especially interesting....you get my drift?" the man eyed Pote closely.

"No, cabron, I don't!" Pote grumbled as he didn't like the direction the conversation was going in.

"Let me clarify...down south in Jalisco and in Sinaloa, one particular product is very popular...and it's not the tequila " the man raised his eyebrows and Pote swallowed hard. He would've liked to be able to take his gun out and deal with this impudent son of a bitch but he knew Teresa could hear the conversation and he knew James's wellbeing inside depended on this man.

"I have nothing to do with any of this...", Pote mumbled as the man interrupted him.

"Look, cabron...just because Anderson has paid up now for your man inside, doesn't mean we don't do our homework...this his wife?" and his chin went up pointing at the car.

As Pote didn't reply right away, the warden continued: "Next time when you come for a delivery, bring something for me and my crew...on top of what Anderson covers...she is a loaded venture cap investor from Mexico...and keep this away from Anderson and his blondie American assistant...got it?" the man eyed Pote closely.

"We don't do drugs, cabron!" Pote said firmly hoping Teresa wouldn't come out of the car: "...and we can't get any for you!"

"Everyone does drugs, especially in the prisons...my gang, we hate the synthetic poisons they bring in, so we have taken over and the real stuff is the blow...and there's no way wealthy Mexicans like you can't hook us up!", with which he turned on his heel, got in his car and drove off.

Teresa stepped out of the car and exchanged worried looks with Pote.

"Did you hear that pendejo?" Pote asked and she nodded: "In the game of blow the most dangerous thing is a pawn thinking it's a queen!", Teresa said under her nose, then to Pote: "Would he know us from somewhere?