Talk to the Trees

Yelena's POV

I'm walking into their woods. I guess Dani has an old treehouse that she would always run away to when she was younger that is still standing to this day.

They knew that's where she went, but would let her have her space, knowing it was a sacred place to her. She would always come back home. But this way she got to think she ran away from it all.

I guess it worked as an escape until it didn't.

So hopefully she's here and didn't take off like she did before.

I don't know why or how everything unfolded, but I know something happened. I've only had a few pieces that I've over heard. So I hope this wasn't enough to push her away like last time.

Here's hoping I'm not walking in these woods by myself for no reason.

I follow the instructions Laura gave me exactly, I sure as hell don't want to get turned around in here. They apparently own a lot of property and most of it is consumed by endless trees. I have a water bottle for Dani that'll only last so long.

Luckily there are still some semblance of the markers left to see along the path to guide me.

Soon enough, I spot a small structure standing amongst the trees.

But is she in there?

As I get closer I can hear music playing, which causes the grin on my face to appear knowing she is in fact up there.

As I approach the base of the tree, I'm actually quite sure I can hear her singing along to a song so I take a moment, just to make sure.

I start making the climb as I listen;

Oh, home, let me come home
Home is wherever I'm with you
Oh, home, let me come home
Home is wherever I'm with you

I reach the top by the time she's done with the chorus, but I don't want to ruin her moment quite yet. I know she's singing Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros and I'm beyond curious as to who she's talking about, though I have an idea he wears a blue and red suit while swinging around New York.

I'll follow you into the park
Through the jungle through the dark
Girl, I never loved one like you

I couldn't help but giggle, she even sang the little 'hey' at the end.

But I also hear the slur in her voice. She really did take the vodka with her.

I climb the rest of the way up and over, finally seeing a just about passed out Dani laying on the floor of her treehouse.

I also spot an empty vodka bottle tossed to the side. A new bottle of something took its place in her right hand.

She was laying flat on her back, looking up to the roof, which I notice has a sky light in it. Well, what could be considered a sky light. But she hasn't noticed me yet.

That's true, laugh until we think we'll die
Barefoot on a summer night
Never could be sweeter than with you

I look around the rest of the little building as I move closer to Dani, waiting for her to notice.

And in the streets you run a-free
Like it's only you and me
Geez you're something to see