A Test of Strength

After all the kids had gathered and the adults were seated, Father stood up from his seat and stepped forward. He looked them over with his stern frown. Many of the kids shifted nervously when they saw their clan head look at them with such an expression.

"The Wu Clan's test of strength has come once again," he announced in a clear voice. "Now is the time for you to show us the fruits of your labor. Those who prove they have gained great strength shall be rewarded. Those who prove they have done nothing but rest on their laurels will have to try harder so they can succeed next time. Now, let the test of strength begin!"

Elder Wu Jinsu stepped forward as Father sat back down between Mother and Wu Taohua. He cleared his throat.

"Ahem. Head up to the testing stone when I call your name and display your strength. Wu Ai!"

As he spoke, a young boy maybe a year or two older than Wu Jian stepped out of the crowd, walked up the stairs, and stood before the testing stone. He slid his feet apart and adopted a combat stance. Narrowing his eyes, he drew his fist into his chest, took a deep breath as though preparing himself, then thrust it forward with all his might.

"HYAAAAA!"

He landed a solid hit on the testing stone, which lit up. A deep red color blossomed from the point of impact and turned into many particles of light. The light gathered together and formed a number.

"3,243," Elder Wu Jinsu announced. "That was a good showing. You have gotten stronger since the last time you tested. I am very impressed."

Wu Ai grinned before bowing to the elder and heading back into the crowd. As he disappeared, Elder Wu Jinsu called another name, then another, and another.

"Wu Baolong!"

"Wu Bai!"

"Wu Cai!"

Several people were called up to test their strength. Most of the people around Wu Jian's age were between two thousand and three thousand. A few rare exceptions were above three thousand five hundred. The older clansmen who were fifteen contained people who were mostly between four thousand and five thousand.

"5,340!" Elder Wu Jinsu announced.

His words caused something of an uproar among the clan. This was the highest score so far.

The one who scored this number turned around and flashed them all a grin. He was a fifteen year old boy with pitch black hair and a light tan. He wore the same sleeveless training gi that everyone else did, revealing that his arms were covered in more than just muscle. Several scars littered his arms. They were obvious signs of the hard work he had put into his training. Wu Jian wondered how he got them.

Several of his peers began speaking around him. Wu Jian listened in.

"Isn't that Wu Hong? The Wu Clan's strongest youth?"

"It is! So that's what he looks like! I've never seen him in person before!"

"That's because he's been training in seclusion. I heard Elder Wu Nin has been training him personally."

"What?! That's not fair!"

"Life's not fair. Wu Hong is talented. You know how it is. Talent is always recognized and cultivated. If you don't have any talent, you're not worth as much to the clan, and they won't waste their resources on you."

The Wu Clan was a rather poor clan, though they were stronger than the other two clans living in Zahn City. However, you didn't call a rat strong just because it was bigger and stronger than two other rats. In the grand scheme of things, the Wu Clan was probably one of the weakest clans in the Shang Kingdom. The only reason they had any prestige was because Father had served in the military with distinction and was rumored to be close to the emperor.