07 | Planned Encounter

Their encounter was still a mist of neon lights and loud pop music, mixed with a cloud of cigarette smoke and liquor induced dizziness

Their encounter was still a mist of neon lights and loud pop music, mixed with a cloud of cigarette smoke and liquor induced dizziness. Kian had found himself attracted to the close-cropped sandy hair and ocean blue eyes. Most of all he liked the soft smile he wore all the time.

Kian and Christopher had only met through Audrey, at her friend's birthday party. That night they both were slightly too drunk and sitting too close resulting in a series of skin brushes, wandering fingers and lip grazes of almost kisses. Had he not had enough liquid courage, Kian would've never been that forward with him. Thank god, Christopher wasn't one to complain in fact, the guy had even mumbled a secret promise in his ear before leaving the party.

"Let me take you to a breakfast date this Sunday." His breath was hot and desperate against the sensitive skin of Kian's ear, his lips lingering on the shell a little longer. "I know you're Audrey's roommate. So don't worry, I will find you, Stranger."

Maybe, it was the alcohol in his system or the need to see Christopher's blue eyes again that made him whisper okay and then forget about him the whole week.

Either way, Christopher Harris was there, outside his apartment, wanting to take him on a breakfast date and then there was his crush Enzo sleeping in his bedroom. When Kian finally pulled his disoriented mind together, he realized Audrey had slammed the door on Christopher's face a moment ago.

"Shit," he cursed under his breath then reached for the doorknob. After taking a mouthful of air and curving his lips in a welcoming smile he opened the door.

If he hadn't met the guy before, he would've definitely frozen on the spot to see such a flawless human being standing at his doorstep this early in the morning. Christopher looked way too soft in that white linen shirt and black jeans. His hair spiked up in perfection and his ocean eyes, damn they looked too mesmerizing to be true. Too bad he would've to see the flecks of disappointment in them.

"Hey Stranger," Christopher's soft voice greeted him with a smile. "I assume you still remember me and our planned encounter this morning."

"Of course, Christopher. I never miss a date with a gentleman such as yourself." Kian stepped to the side to let him inside the apartment, his forced smile still intact and so was the anxiety. "I totally apologize on my roommate's behalf. Audrey here, doesn't see many guys coming this early in the morning. Certainly not for me."

"Then I'm the lucky one," Christopher gave him a genuine smile. They all settled on the couch and Audrey glared at Kian. A smile replaced her glare when Christopher turned her way. "Hey, Audrey. Do you mind if I take you friend on a date this fine Sunday morning?"

Christopher and his humble mannerism was something entirely foreign for Kian. He had never met someone of his age who behaved even half as decently as he did. Perhaps, it's his cultural background. He belonged to a royal family and from a very young age he was seasoned to be like that. Kian wondered if his family would be okay with him dating a man. But again he hardly knew him. It wasn't like he would be dating him.

"Kian is all yours this morning, Christopher. If that's what he wants." Audrey said, moving her gaze towards Kian and gesturing towards his bedroom.

Kian could hear faint noises through the closed door. Maybe Enzo had woken up. Should he excuse himself and check on him?

"Please call me Chris. Christopher sounds a bit too formal." Chris finally shifted his full attention towards Kian who was already spacing out of the conversation. "Is something the matter, Kian? You seem a little distracted."

"Everything is fine." Kian released a rushed reply, already getting off the couch and heading towards the kitchen. "Let me get you a coffee or tea, whichever you prefer."

"Just water is fine." Chris said, following after him and leaning against the counter beside him as he poured out a glass of water for him. He pushed the glass towards Chris and noticed he was pinning with an inquisitive stare.

Chris surely guessed Kian's distraught state so maybe that's why he placed the empty glass on the counter and took a step closer to him. Kian was rewarded with the strong forest flavored scent of his cologne and for some reason he found himself drawn to it. He did want to go out with him. If his mind could momentarily let go of Enzo's thought then why wouldn't he seek it out.

Kian and Audrey exchanged another wary look. This time Chris followed it and shook his head, a knowing smile playing on his lips. "It's my bad timing, isn't it? If you have something planned already, maybe we should go on our date some other day."

"No, it's not that, Chris." Kian raked his hair and huffed out a relented breath. "The thing is I do want to go out with you but-"

"You should go." Enzo's deep voice cut the air around them like a sharp knife. Everyone's head snapped in his direction, the first one being Kian's.

Enzo was leaning on the doorframe, his hair messy and eyes red due to the hangover. He was still wearing Kian's t-shirt but had changed into his jeans. He looked completely aware of his surroundings and that he was in Kian's apartment. His eyes locked with Kian and he could see a myriad of emotions in those midnight black eyes.

But before Kian could detangle them and pick up the exact one they both shared in that moment. He was already walking towards the main door.

Was he running away from him? If so, then why did he show up only to walk out on him again.

"Enzo wait!," Kian rounded the kitchen counter and rushed after him as he stormed out of his apartment as if his butt was on fire. By the time he staggered towards the elevator, Enzo had already punched the ground floor.

And there outside the closing doors of the elevator, Kian caught a glimpse of his disheveled figure and pleading eyes before the doors closed on his face.

"Fucking coward!" Kian groaned as his fist tightened. He knew the hidden plea in Enzo's eyes. Enzo didn't want Kian to follow him.

Perhaps his meeting with Enzo was indeed a coincidence. One that Enzo never planned to happen.

***

Author's Note: If you are enjoying it so far, please add your comments and votes.

Thank you so much for reading this story.