09 | Things Unsaid

After attending back to back lectures at University on a monstrous Monday, you're hardly left with any motivation to work at a café for the rest of the day

Kian had no other option but to drag his tired self until midnight. There was still an hour left and his eyes were bloodshot with both sleep and crying.

Yes, whoever said boys don't cry never had a major identity crisis at their home. Their father probably never turned back on them simply because they didn't fit into the defined molds.

Ever since Kian came out to his parents, his father had been punishing him with silence. He didn't show his disappointment or contempt, he chose to remain silent. And that hurt more than all the harsh words his relatives and friends showered on him.

So, that was the reason when his mother called Kian this morning and asked him to have a conversation with his father, he broke down on the phone. He cried like a five year old boy, burying his teary cheeks into his mother's lap.

Was it a crime to accept one's true identity and preferences?

"Hello, Kian Advani," his voice had a hint of hesitation, low and deep. Normally, Kian would look up at the customers and offer them his charming dimpled smile, but that voice had a whole new effect on him. It turned him into a clumsy mess and the menus he had been arranging slipped from his trained fingers, scattering all over the floor.

"Shit," Kian cursed under his breath, squatting down instantly. He couldn't look up at the boy with midnight eyes and stormy smile, not yet.

From the corner of his eyes, he watched the boy move around the counter and then he was there, in front of Kian. He stopped two feet away from Kian, his lean athletic legs clad in plain black jeans coming in Kian's line of sight.

"I'm so sorry. Didn't mean to startle you like that." the boy said and Kian still couldn't look at him. How could he? The boy was no more a drunken mess, or out cold on one of the leather booths of the café but was standing there, in his full senses. Just like all those years back, the desire to take a perfect look of his face gnawed at Kian and his heartbeat accelerated to an abnormal speed.

He gritted his teeth when he remembered how the boy had run off from his apartment a week ago only to show up again on a day when Kian was feeling low. It was like a blow to his already hurting heart.

When Kian remained silent, the boy moved a step closer and bent down to his eye level, picking up the menus for him. They reached for the last one at the same time, and Kian jerked away from the light brush of their skin. It was like a fresh set of hidden images coming to life and Kian didn't want them to trample over his attempt of moving on.

Kian finally stood up and so did the boy in front of him. Both of their faces snapped at the same time, and Kian had to hold back the gasp when Enzo's soft features came into his view.

Even after all this time, Enzo Santiago had to be the only person who can make his heart stutter with a mere smile. His messy black curls, his high cheekbones and thick eyelashes brushing them every time he blinked and most of all his full lips, stretching ever so slightly as he gave Kian a nervous smile.

"Hey, Kiki," Enzo said when Kian's eyes made it from his shoes clad feet - to his all black attire, his shirt revealing a fair amount of collarbones with top two buttons open and up to his face. He had changed so much over the years, yet he was almost exactly the same.

"Hey, Enz," Kian mumbled, turning away from him to prepare a black coffee for the new customer who arrived. Meanwhile, Enzo refused to move across the counter instead of hovering at his side.

After passing the order, Kian crossed his arms across his chest and turned his head towards Enzo, who was leaning on the counter beside him. "If you're here to apologize then you're forgiven. Now, can you run off again?"

Enzo's eyes were still as dark as ink, his hair exactly matching his irises. His cheeks felt more soft and high when he gathered them in a smile. Even though it was a weak one, his smile melted Kian's heart and he groaned looking away.

"Kian!" Simone's call echoed in the cafe. Simone had never shouted his name this loud before, which meant Kian was being lousy during his shift. Simone was strict that way especially on a busy Monday.

"Yes, I know, I know." Kian said, turning back towards the counter where a couple of customers were waiting in the line, unattended. As he took a few orders, Simone walked out of the kitchen to Kian's side, his eyes taking a curious look at Enzo.

"And who is this handsome? Why do I feel I have seen him somewhere?" Simone took over Kian, nudging his chin towards Enzo. "Is he the same guy we met at the club last Friday?"

"More like we saw him passed out at that corner booth last Saturday." Kian kept his gaze locked at Enzo as he said those words, his jaw ticking with annoyance. And maybe that was why Simone shook his head and gave them a sardonic smile.

"Why don't you settle this while I take over for a bit?" Simone said, his eyes flicking between Kian and Enzo.

"Yeah, sure," Kian sighed, raking a hand through his hair and turning towards Enzo. He was still staring at Kian.

"Should we go to the back, yeah?" Enzo pointed a thumb over his shoulder and Kian had no other option but to mutter an F word under his breath before ushering the boy towards the back door. 

There were things unsaid and unheard between them. Maybe, it was time to confront.

***

Author's Note: If you are enjoying it so far, please add your comments and votes.

Thank you so much for reading this story.