08 | Moving On

"Honestly, what was that?" Audrey said, crossing her arms across her chest as Kian returned to his apartment

"Honestly, what was that?" Audrey said, crossing her arms across her chest as Kian returned to his apartment. Christopher had his back against the kitchen island and a confused frown on his face. Kian knew he was pathetic, running after his crush while his plausible date stood the audience.

Chris didn't deserve that.

"Don't know. Don't care." Kian snapped shutting the door with a dramatic bang then scrubbed his face with his hands. He walked over to Chris and gave him an apologetical look. "Are you still up for that breakfast date we were planning to go or-"

"Of course, I am," Chris drawled, pushed off the island and leaned closer to him, to the point his day-old stubbles tickled the side of Kian's face. "That is if you still wanna go out with me. Am I stepping in between something?"

Kian shook his head. His frown morphing into an easy smile, an expression that now matched with the gentleman in front of him. "Nothing like that Christopher James Harris. Give me fifteen minutes to dress up for your highness."

"Take twenty. I can wait for you to be ready." His voice dropped a few octaves and Kian knew those words held a deeper meaning. Something about his gentle way of handling Kian's emotions, made Kian realize how he could never hurt him. He reached to brush off a string of linen from Kian's white tee and gestured towards his bedroom. "Just don't make me wait forever, yeah?"

"Aww, my fragile heart," Kian heard Audrey whine from across the room and flipped a bird at her before disappearing into his room.

He felt a slight burn in his heart not to find Enzo in his bed. And for a godforsaken reason he found himself looking at Enzo's t-shirt which he had kept with his own clothes in the hamper. He sat down on the bed and smoothed his hand over the rumpled white comforter. His fist tightened around one corner of it and he tried, really tried not to take a whiff of Enzo's familiar scent, failing miserably so. It smelled so much like Enzo.

What was wrong with him? There was a perfectly handsome guy, with a kind, passionate smile and blue heavenly eyes waiting for him in his living room and here he was getting consumed in Enzo's scent.

Every cell in his body responded to it and the ache in his chest stirred to life again, wanting the guy. Kian released a frustrated groan.

Maybe Enzo running off from him was for the best. Maybe Kian should move on from the past. Maybe he should have moved on by now.

But the memories whacked his mind like a train wreck, them riding around the town in their gear bikes, watching movies and playing video games in their basements, running together at first light - the images were still so fresh. It was impossible to forget the way Enzo stood up for him against almost anyone in the world until Kian messed everything up by kissing his best friend. Seven minutes in heaven turned into a lifelong hell for him.

And man did Kian regret it? Answer is - every single day ever since.

"Okay," he finally threw the comforter away and looked at himself in the mirror. "Kian Advani, it's time to man up. You're going to get dressed, go out with that handsome man waiting for you and let go of your stupid crush."

It was time for him to take charge of his emotions and feelings before someone stomped on them all over again.

***

In the next twenty minutes, Kian was in Chris's Maserati Quattroporte, with its rich metallic paint and authentic Italian leather seats. Kian had to admit the sports car definitely was something to appreciate but the view of Chris driving it was something much more appreciable.

The way he worked the gear shift with one hand draped over the steering wheel and a calm confidence, Chris definitely had all his attention. In comparison to Chris's styled hair and photo-ready look, Kian looked way too casual in his distressed jeans and oversized hoodie. Everything about Chris spoke of his fine lifestyle while the same could not be said for Kian.

So, it really shocked him when Chris took him to a small café in the local market, the same where Kian worked the evening shifts. He frowned when Chris parked his shiny car in the crowded parking lot. His stomach twisted with the thought of some teenager putting a scratch on its metallic charcoal paint by mistake, if not on purpose. Chris seemed to care the least for the same.

"Are you sure about leaving your car just like that?" Kian asked, waving his hands animatedly at the surrounding vehicles, definitely not a Maserati.

Chris released a laugh walking backward towards the café. "Don't worry, this car belongs to my dad and if someone decides to wreak havoc on it then be it."

"That doesn't sound like you. What have you done to the gentleman, Chris?" Kian shook his head and fell behind him.

"Oh, I can be a bad boy sometimes too, K." He winked at Kian, awarding him with a lopsided grin. Before Kian could take in this surprisingly new side of him, Chris pushed open the door to the Brew Story Café and dipped his head to murmur into Kian's ear. "After you, Stranger."

They ate at the table facing the one where Kian had found Enzo the previous night and his heart twisted within his chest. Shaking Enzo's images aside, he focused on Chris's bright ocean eyes. For the rest of the morning they smiled, whispered and shared lingering subtle glances from across each other while enjoying on the house pancakes, waffles and rich aromatic coffee. And in those few moments, Kian realized maybe, if he tried hard enough, he might finally move on for real this time.

Chris took him back to his apartment after their semi-romantic first breakfast date and offered to walk him to the front door. As they both hover over the options on how to say goodbye, Kian decided to lay down his cards.

"I know you must be having a million questions regarding whatever happened earlier. But that's something he, I mean Enzo does all the time. He is-was my best friend, so I know him." Kian ran a hand through his black hair as they both walked down the long corridor leading to his apartment, their shoulders occasionally brushing against each other.

"Was?" Chris turned his way and frowned.

"Yes. I had a crush on him and he didn't reciprocate. After a tragic confrontation we kind of fell apart. Yesterday night he reappeared mysteriously, drunk off his arse and in the morning he just bailed on me again." Kian stopped rambling and glanced up at Chris as he felt a gentle hold on his shoulder.

"Do you still have feelings for that boy?" Chris had a faint knowing smile plastered on his face as he let his thumb lightly run over his shoulder bone.

Kian had to search in every corner of his heart for the answer and everywhere he found the same response, the one he was so desperately trying to avoid. "I think, I'm moving on from him."

Christopher James Harris scowled at his words, his stare pausing at Kian's mouth. If he dipped his head and kissed Kian, maybe he would have kissed him back but he didn't. Instead Chris looked back up into Kian's eyes and stirred his senses with his soft smile.

Then he stepped back and licked his lips. "When I said I'll be waiting, I meant it."

***

Author's Note: If you are enjoying it so far, please add your comments and votes.

Thank you so much for reading this story.