Chapter 26

Rosalynn

She led me into the living room where candles were lit. A wine bottle sat chilled in the middle of the table, two plates at its end. Tears welled in my eyes at the sight. Something so simple but extremely thoughtful.

"Wow, Charlotte." I gripped her hand tighter. "This is lovely." She smile shyly, "Its not much." I shook my head, "Its perfect." She led me over to the table, pulling my chair as I took a seat and she grabbed the bottle of wine filling my glass before her own. The thought of her consuming alcohol is a bit unorthodox but at this point, what isn't? "I hope the food is okay. Im not much of a cook but I tried." She let out a nervous laugh. "Im sure its wonderful. Looks good." I took a sip from my glass, my eyes flicking over the beautiful girl in front of me. She had prepared salmon for dinner. Accompanied by mashed potatoes and asparagus. It honestly did look good, my mouth watered. "I wanted to have this kind of first date I guess," she spoke, "To kind of give us the chance to really get to know one another. I know we already had.. ya know. But we can pretend I guess." I smiled. "Well Miss Avery, I haven't been on a date in quite some time. And with a beautiful girl at that." She smirked, taking a fork full of potatoes.

"So." She began. "Have you always wanted to be a teacher?" I thought for a moment. "Since I was a young girl I hated school. I was smart. Made good grades, but I hated school nonetheless. But my sophomore year in highschool I encountered the most unpleasant teacher I've ever met. He was rude. Inconsiderate and just overall unpleasant. Didnt care about any of his students and every time I had his class it was hell. I just couldn't see how someone who worked in such a field had a total disregard for the well being of the kids he taught. Teachers are supposed to be helpful and understanding and there to teach you how to be successful in life. They're supposed to make a difference you know? So that's when I decided I wanted to become that person. To help youth, teach them and give them the tools to be all they can be." I realized I was rambling so I ended there. She looked at me with glistening eyes. "What?" I asked. She simply shook her head, looking down at her plate. "You're amazing."

"How have you been managing here?" I asked. "What do you mean?" "Like how are you able to take care of yourself. Being in this house, dont you get lonely or afraid?" She drank from her glass before refilling it and topping off my glass also. "My dad left money in two separate accounts. One was and now is, supposed to be used to take care of me. Pay the bills, feed me that sort of thing. Which Laura was to handle as my guardian. The other account is mine only. But I cant touch it until after I graduate Highschool. Its intended to help me get started with life whether that's college or whatever." I nodded, remembering her plans for when she graduates. New York. I sighed to myself, but didnt want to talk about that particular plan. I didnt want to dampen the mood.

We continued eating. A comfortable silence washed over us every now and then. But she kept asking questions, those first date questions. Whats your favorite movie or color. I also told her about my mother and sister that were back in Dallas. It was actually quite nice. I felt like I got to know her on a different level. Learning just how much she loves to write. I always found her writings in class more than enjoyable. She has a way with words and she is definitely romantic. She also went into detail about her choosing to be a Therapist. As I've said before she is wise beyond her years. She speaks with so much passion that I know it would be the perfect profession for her. Once we finished eating she gathered our dishes and placed them in the sink. "I hope you enjoyed dinner." I nodded, "I did indeed." She stood and walked over to me. "I hope you saved room for desert." She had a sly smile on her face. I quirked my eyebrow but before I could respond she grabbed my hand, pulling me up from my seat. "Come." She whispered.

She intertwined our fingers before grabbing my suitcase and leading me up the stairs. We came to a door and she stopped and turned to me. "Close your eyes." She spoke softly. "What are you up to Charlotte?" She rolled her eyes. "Just do it, please." Sighing, I did as told and held my hands over my eyes. I hear her open the door then her hand is on the small of my back, causing me to inhale sharply. I hear her giggle and I mentally slap myself.