Chapter 4

Mrs Dandridge

The entire trip home I couldn't stop thinking about her.

Thats odd to say, right? I dont mean it in "that" way. I just mean that shes such a mysterious girl. Shes never uttered more than three words to me. But she is very intriguing to say the least. I know she's been through some things but I dont know to what extent. I know there has to be a reason she was stealing from that store. She would not tell me though. Or whenever I tried to get her to open up she would change the subject. I gave her my number because I wanted her to know I'm here for her. She doesnt need to steal or God knows whatever else. Shes a brilliant student. Never been into trouble, keeps to herself. I just want her to trust me. I want her to know im here.

I pulled into the driveway and noticed the black Audi sitting out front. Sighing, I pulled into the garage, and shut off my engine. I needed to mentally prepare myself to enter this house. Knowing that my soon to be ex husband was already inside doing God knows what. I grabbed my purse off the seat and the trash bag out the back as I exited the car and headed inside. I walked into the kitchen and sat my things on the counter. I kicked off my heels and grabbed the mail that sat at the desk. Seeing nothing that looked important enough to open, I tossed the envelopes back on the desk. I went over and grabbed a bottle of wine off the rack and pulled a glass from out of the cabinet. Pouring myself a tall glass of the sweet red wine. Instantly feeling myself relax as it went down my throat.

My relaxation was cut short as I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. I rolled my eyes, as I did not want to see him. Not tonight. Well, not any night actually. But especially not tonight. The footsteps got closer, and I decided to grab the bottle of wine and head upstairs before he could throw any bull shit my way. There were two ways to get to the stairs in my house. From the kitchen, there was a formal dining room which you could walk through and get to the stairs faster, rather than walking around the hall. I made my way through the dining room, just as he was entering. Fuck.

"Rosalynn." He simply said. "Jack." I acknowledged him. He looked like he had just gotten out of the shower. His dark hair was wet, and he was shirtless. Simply in a pair of pajama pants with slippers on his feet. "You're home late tonight aren't you? Where've you been?" He asked. I proceeded to move around him when he grabbed my arm. "Hey, it was just a question, thats all." I snatched my arm away from him. "Thats none of your business Jack. Why are you even here?" He shrugged his shoulders, "I still live here Rosie." I rolled my eyes. I used to love when he called me Rosie. A nickname from my childhood but now whenever he says it I feel sick to my stomach. "Hardly. I want you gone Jack. I've been nice to let you stay this long. You really need to get your own place." I moved around him and he grabbed my arm again, "You are still my wife Rosalynn." "Yeah, dont remind me! The sooner we sign those fucking papers the better! In the meantime, by this time next week I want you and your shit out of my house. I mean it!"

I went up the staircase and into my room, shutting the door behind me. I sat my wine down on the dresser before throwing myself on the bed. The situation between Jack and I is nothing short of complicated. I recently filed for divorce and it has been a long and slow process to get rid of this man.

I used to be so madly in love with him.

We met my junior year in college, and he was in his senior year. He was charming. Had the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. He literally swept me off my feet. He was perfect. We dated throughout my term at college, and on my graduation day he asked me to marry him. Shortly after my twenty-third birthday we got married on the beach. A small wedding—nothing too extravagant. We were a simple couple but life was amazing. We had friends, family everything was exactly how it should be. But as the years went by things just started to change. At least for me.