~Puppy Love~

• Dedicated to Stacy Lott

I paced around my room fidgeting with my curls nervously. I haven't seen my father intimate with a women well since my mother. I know it shouldn't be a big deal but seeing him like that made me mad and I knew it shouldn't. My mother passed away a long time ago and he deserved to be happy, but it just made everything seem real. I let out a sigh of frustration as I made myself sit down. A knock at the door made me jump.

"Laynnah I think we need to talk," my fathers muffled voice said from behind the thick white door.

"Why? You haven't talked to me in weeks," I snapped at him, feeling bad as soon as the words were out of my mouth.

"Don't be like that Laynnah," he breathed as he slowly opened the door. I tossed my pillow at him angrily as soon as he stepped inside. "Ok, I think I deserve that," he smiled weakly passing the pillow back to me. I hugged it to my body tightly hiding my face so only my eyes were showing.

"I don't want to talk about it dad. It's none of my business anyway," I said into the pillow. He shot me a hurt look making me feel horrible once again.

"I'm sorry you had to find out about Kathrine like that honey," he said softly as he sat down beside me cautiously. I rolled my eyes not that he noticed.

"Is that it?" I breathed.

"What?"

"Is that it?" I repeated myself once more.

"Laynnah," his voice trailed off as he said my name. "Why are you being like this?"

"Dad I'm tired I have school in the morning can I go to bed?" I asked ignoring his question completely.

"Fine we can talk about this tomorrow at dinner," he sighed kissing my head before standing up. "I love you."

"Yeah," I hissed turning away from him. I knew I was being hurtful but he started it by lying to me. If he could hold a grudge for me being five minutes late I could hold a grudge for him lying to me right? I quickly changed into a t-shirt and a pair of shorts before crawling back into bed. I kissed the picture of my mother on my nightstand and said my good nights before laying down. I laid there staring at the ceiling for what seemed like hours. Some Valentines day this was.

***

  I awoke grumpy like I didn't see that one coming. I quickly grabbed a change of clothes before opening my bedroom door. I glanced around the hallway to make sure my father wasn't staked out in front of my room waiting for me. Luckily the hallway was all clear.

I hurried across the hallway into the bathroom locking the door behind me instantly. I let out a small sigh of relief before jumping into the shower. The hot water soothed my tired body happily making me feel slightly less grumpy.

I took my time in the bathroom blow drying the mass of curls that was my hair. I tossed one of my headbands with a soft pink bow that matched my outfit on and attempted a smile. I looked cute to bad I was miserable. I sighed as I made my way back to my bedroom.

I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs Tristin should be here to pick me up soon anyway maybe I'd miss my father all together. I slowly made my way down the stairs unlike the day before. I looked through the front window hoping Tristin was already there with no luck. I made my way to the kitchen and grabbed a granola bar from the cabinet. I looked around and noticed the coffee pot was clean which was weird my father couldn't survive the day if he didn't have his coffee. Maybe he was still in bed I tiptoed over to the fridge and got out the bottle of orange juice. I noticed the note as soon as I closed the fridge door.

Laynnah

Off to work early today. Don't forget about our dinner plans. See you tonight.

Love Dad