Fukunaga Shohei - Have a Laugh

Comenzar desde el principio

The plates rattled as they hit the table. He gestured to my plate of food before looking at me.

"It was nice to meat you," he said, paused, then walked off with a satisfied nod.

I snorted, cupping my nose to stop the sake from shooting through my nostrils and burning my nose hairs off.

"What was that?" Kira pushed, taping her fingers quickly on the table. "You've met before? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I— no, Kira." Laughs escaped you despite all your efforts to calm them down. I pointed to my plate where expertly cut and cooked slices of pork lay, waiting. "He made a pun!"

I replayed the memory of the awkwardly demeanoured chef making a casual joke with a subtle look of satisfaction once he said it, continuing to giggle into my hands at the memory. Kira blinked my way but continued to chuckle into the meal.

She gasped partway through the meal, leaning over her food to whisper as he pointed in the man's direction. "He's eating a banana while he's on break! He's so healthy. What a good choice in fruit!"

Chewing on my pork, I leaned my head closer to her, hoping to get the same view that she had through the heads of other diners. Before I could stop myself, I snorted again, hunching to the point that my shirt dragged into the accompanying sauce on the table, staining it.

"What are you laughing at this time?" Kira whined.

"He's carrying a whole bushel of bananas! It's comical! I can't help it."

"Stop laughing at my crush!"

"Okay, okay, just give me a moment. I need to calm down." Grabbing a napkin, I squeezed it around the stained fabric of my shirt. "So, Bananas, huh? Is that why you find him a-peeling?"

Kira huffed, crossing her arms across the frills of her pink shirt.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. Are you mad at me?"

"No. A little." Kira's eyes were still trained on the chef as he hunched over his work.

"I think he's funny. I was laughing at a joke he made, not him." I sighed, setting the crumpled napkin on the table.

"You and Sayori always laugh at my crushes."

"Only the bad ones."

"Hey!"

I chuckled. "Kira, you look at one person for half a second and immediately say you love them. If you don't forget about their existence by the day's end, you kind of stalk them for a few days before they tell you off, or you go on a date. And by the time the date is over, you're over your crush because of some technicality."

"Then what do you think I should do?"

"Well, I can't say what will happen with this chef. But maybe ask his name first?"

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Fukunaga, a name that never seemed to leave my recent memory, had agreed to Kira's proposed date. While it was my original suggestion for Kira to ask him out, I didn't expect the consequences to be my own. Most of all, I never had expected her to think that since I gave her one good piece of advice, I'd continue to be able to do so.

They were supposed to be bar hopping tonight—Kira's choice—so...

"Why are you here?"

It was late. All I wanted to do was lay down and watch the game with a big bowl of noodles and sausages. After a long day of dealing with eager athletes, I had already changed into comfortable pyjamas.