17. Anybody

At another side of the country, Marianne just finishes her daily routine at the little ma'am and about to go out with Dr. Allison. He's waiting out side the door.

"So..." Greg says from a dark corner when Marianne walks down in a brown dress. "You're like dating him now?"

"You could have given me heart attack, Baker" She says "And no, just... we're just... gonna have conversation on my project"

"aha" he answers and acts like he completely believes her when her outfit tells the difference. She wears a casual dress but she doesn't put on her glasses and she braids her hair up in a bun, it's hard to believe that she's going to talk about her college project with an advisor.

"just... huh... whatever"

"whatever" he agrees "and..."

"yeah I'ma be back before midnight, fairy god mother" she cuts up

"no, I just gonna say 'have a good night' "

"Really?" she asks "you're not giving me curfew?"

"No, of course not"

"You're a double standard bastard, Baker" She rails on him and gets out to Dr. Allison's car.

He notices her moody face so he asks sweetly "What's wrong?"

"no, just Greg" she says his name like it's a curse

"I don't know much about him but I know he really loves you" Dr. Allison comments

"Yeah, he loves me and I love him too but sometimes he's just.... overprotective"

 "Maybe if you introduce me to them as... a little more informal and we have chance to get to know each other little more, when we go out he'd be little bit more... relief"

"no, no" she explains "He likes you well, pretty much actually. Just... never mind, forget him"

"Smile then" Dr. Allison suggests "You'd look beautiful with smile, I mean you're already beautiful and you look... gorgeous tonight but It'd be better with a smile"

She smiles for his cheesy compliment. A moment later, her phone rings. She picks it up, meant to mute it but when she sees who's calling, she just can't resist answering it.

"Hey, Peter"

"Hey, Mari. Are you busy or something?" Bruno asks "Can you talk right now?"

Marianne glances at Dr.Allison, he gives her a light smile "yeah, why? Is there anything wrong?"

"No-no! I'm just thinking about go back to New York"

"Really?" She asks, exited

"Yeah, I- I wonder if you'd come pick me at the airport"

"Sure! When you'd be back?" Marianne asks and doesn't make any effort to hide her excitement

"So soon, Actually like... now"

"What?!" She says with high voice that Dr. Allison turns to her

"Anything wrong? You're okay?" Dr.Allison asks but Marianne doesn't answer

"uh..." Bruno tries to find some words at another end of the line "I'm at the airport now, can you come?"

"A minute." She tells Bruno before turns to talk to Dr. Allison "Professor..."

 He rolls his eyes and answers "yes?"

"Can we go pick Peter up at the airport?" She asks and adds "now"

"Do really we have to do that?" He asks

"No, if you don't want to" Marianne answers and tries to act like she doesn't care at all. But Dr. Allison knows that look. He curses and says

"FINE"

Several minutes later, they reach the airport. Marianne finds Bruno sitting on a bench with his suitcase. She goes tap on his shoulder "Hey!" she says, and when he sees her, he stands up. Marianne sees something in his eyes, he's smiling but somehow he looks so sad so she pulls him in her arms and hugs him tight

"What's wrong, Peter?" She asks when she lets go

"Hey, Mari, look at you" He says instead of answer her question "How can you grow up so fast in a couple months?"

"shut it!" she says and pulls Dr. Allison's hand. "Peter, this is Dr. Allison, my advisor. And professor this is Peter, my friend"

"Hey! Nice to finally meet you Dr." Bruno says as taking Dr. Allison's hand and shakes it "I've heard a lot about you! Mari really appreciates you"

"Mari.. anne is a very grateful kid" Dr. Allison pretends to agree

"Can we have a word?" Bruno excuses himself and Marianne. Dr. Allison nods confusingly. He's the one who should have a word with her, isn't he?

"What?" Marianne asks after walks a few step away

"Am I ruining your date night?" Bruno asks with concern

"No, we're not dating"

"yeah?" He reponds unbelievably "Just take me home and go do whatever you were going to do. Don't let me ruin your night"

Marianne nods and when they walk back to Dr. Allison, she whisper to her professor, "Just take him home and we can go on like this doesn't happen"

"Mari" Dr. Allison says after they're finally alone in front of the little ma'am after they drove Bruno home and had dinner. "He called you 'Mari'"

"yes..." she answers but isn't quite sure what he's trying to say

"Mari. Only I call you Mari" She is too confused to think it through so she just decides to believes him and defense her friend.

"Mari is short for Marianne, anybody can call me that"

"Am I just anybody?" Dr. Allison says. Marianne looks at him, thinking if he's really making a big deal from this petty nonsense then he adds "Or should I ask; is he just anybody?"

"Anybody is any nonspecific person" She answers and gets off the car. She goes to her room without a single glance back at him. When she reaches her room she's got a text

Prof. Allison: I'm sorry. You're called anything you want to be called. Let him call you Mari if he wants. I wouldn't mind cause from now on I'll call you 'sweet pea'

She laughs with herself and texts back

Mari: good Roby, but if you call me that I'll kill you.

She put down her phone but then changes her mind and sends another text

Mari: I meant it when I said I'll kill you