Access denied

Just a heads up I'm gonna change my writing style to my normal one from here on out. Won't be too drastic just... better?

(Y/n)'s Pov:

Early birds are sadistic. That's all I have to say on the matter. Who willingly gets up when its freezing cold and decides to not get as much sleep as they could want all for the sake of being productive? Not me that's for sure. Minho, however, has a knack for being so annoying that I have to physically shoo him out of my hut.

I was silently grumbling to myself and my fingers grappled with the straps on my breastplate. Both Minho and I were headed to free Thomas from the pit.

"Remind me again why I agreed to become a runner?" I questioned my friend as I shuffled drowsily behind him.

"Because you can't sit still and the glade is 'an insufferable cage'." He replied without hesitation.

I said that ONE TIME and Alby already whooped my ass for it. Everyone else in the glade still didn't get out of bed for another hour at most. Totally unfair.

After escaping the shelter of the grove we were met with the reasonably clear sky and flat green meadow. Minho's shirt blended with the colour above us. He walked with purpose across the pits before finally crouching in front of the second farthest one. I stood back a few metres so Thomas most likely had no idea I was there.

"Big day greenie, you sure you don't wanna sit this one out?" Minho taunted.

I didn't hear Thomas' response but it must have been a yes since Minho opened the cage door. On stiff legs our newest runner hobbled out. Cracking his back, Thomas finally straightened with a sigh.

"Old nanas don't do so well in the maze." Sass laced my words as I messed with my newest friend.

He swivelled his head in my direction with a smile plastered on his face. I saw a mischievous glint reach his eyes in that moment.

"So I'll see you before sundown then?" Pure victory coated his face from his witty reply.

There was no coming back from that one so I just threw his breastplate at him and walked towards the maze doors. Shucking greenies. As I trudged ahead I heard Minho silently ask Thomas "teach me how to do that." I threw the finger at the two over my shoulder without looking back. I could hear their laughter from halfway across the glade.

The doors were just creaking open once the two knuckleheads reached my side, the familiar creaking of the cold gears shifting from within the thick concrete.

When there was enough room to fit through Minho let out an authoritative "Lets go!"

Without further instruction my legs automatically moved, working on a mind of their own. And so I followed my keeper into hell.

Adrenaline pumped through my brains with the knowledge that a new recruit was with us. Every time a new runner had been welcomed into the ranks a surge of power and energy raced through me. Minho and I were the top dogs in the maze and the greenies worshipped us for it. Through twists and turns we ran and I eventually overtook Minho easily. Perks of being the fastest runner in the glade.

Before I'd completely memorised the maze the first indication that I'd reached the inner ring would be the amount of light. It was dark, cold and damp in the inner ring but once you reached the sectors the sunlight was almost overwhelming. The grey turned from a moss green to a bright sea of bland concrete.

Minho and I kept pushing and Thomas was hopefully close behind. My legs intended to keep running at this fast pace for far longer but they came to an abrupt halt. To keep my body warm I walked with purpose forward as the boys caught up. Once at my side the keeper spoke.