Hell of an introduction

Thomas's Pov:

Now that Newt had made him a runner as of tomorrow Minho had pulled Thomas aside. The keeper led his new recruit through the Grove and onto a bridge that crossed a creek. The greenie had no idea where he was being taken. He wondered why (Y/n) hadn't accompanied them.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

They continued on heading deeper into the grove, following a dirt path that wound through the trees. After the long walk Thomas finally saw a small, round hut made from thin trees. It looked mostly unused and all alone in the shadows. The inside was much the same. Small cracks in the ceiling let light into the hut and a large hole in the centre illuminated the table underneath. A cloth covered the mysterious round table that made up majority of the hut. Minho walked around to the other side while Thomas scanned over the many signs covered in random scribbles and notes. Grabbing the edges of the white material the keeper ripped it off revealing an intricate model of the entire maze underneath. Thomas was in complete shock by it, never had he realised the length of the maze.

"Its the maze. All of it."

"What do you mean all of it, I thought you were still mapping it?"

"There's nothing left to map..."

His jaw dropped open as he looked at the keeper with shock and worry. What did he mean there was nothing left? The hell were the runners doing if they'd run every inch of the maze.

"I've run every inch of it myself with (Y/n). Every cycle, every pattern... if there was a way out we would have found it by now."

Minho sounded defeated. He'd truly started to give up hope on ever getting out and Thomas could see it. Why did (Y/n) seem so confident then?

"Why haven't you two told anyone this?"

"It was Alby's call and (Y/n)... she doesn't know. The people need to believe we have a chance of getting out."

"What do you mean (Y/n) doesn't know? You said she'd run the whole thing with you."

"I couldn't bring myself to tell her. It'd crush her to know we were doomed. I won't put her through any more pain than she needs to be in."

Thomas let his words seek in. He could clearly see the two runners cared for each other deeply. The people of the glade were a true family. But why did that make Thomas sad?

"But maybe now, we have a real chance."

Minho extended the device they found in the griever over to his new recruit. A new friendship was forming. Thomas took it from his keeper and let out a long breath. The survival of the glade had just been placed on his shoulders. But was he ready for such a responsibility?

"Take a look at this."

Minho rested his hands on the table and leant his weight on it. He raised one and used it to point around the map.

"About a year ago we started exploring these outer sections. We found these numbers, printed on the walls, sections 1 through 8."

Turning his head away from the map the runner turned to look at Thomas.

"See the way it works is that every night when the maze changes, it opens up a new section. So today, section 6 was open, tomorrow it'll be 4 then 8 then 3... the pattern always stays the same."