Chapter 22 - Mastermind

Update: minor edits

"So, Saten fell victim to the Level Upper?"

"Yeah. Apparently after she arrived, Uiharu went and took the song Saten had on her phone, and went for Dr. Kiyama's office. She's probably checking out and analyzing it now as we speak."

"I see." Misaka said. Aftet hearing the news about Saten from Kuroko Misaka went to the hospital as fast as she could. She and Kuroko were currently outside Saten's room, sitting on a bench near the doorframe. "How's she holding up?"

"...To be honest I rarely see Uiharu so... serious. Not that it never happened, but... can't imagine how she's feeling right now. She just... shuts down whenever she is."

"...Do you have a minute Kuroko?"

"Hmm?"

-

"I once said to Saten, around a couple days ago... that a Level doesn't matter all that much. ...All my life, everytime something was blocking me from reaching my goal, I wouldn't sleep until I breached it and continued on forward. For me, it didn't really matter whether it was difficult or not. I went in, and fought like hell to get to where I am now. And I took it for granted. Thought it wasn't a very big deal. "Anyone can do it as long as they work hard," is all they keep saying to me all those times.

And it blinded me.

It made unable to understand the other guys. Those that, when faced with such a challenge, could never go past it, no matter how hard they tried. Despite their efforts, it'll all go back to a single dreaded phrase in big red letters. I... I was so inconsiderate of her. Of the other people who struggled. I took for granted my Level, being one of the best. I never stop and considered... how others would truly feel about that. About how I was a sort of living reminder of their numerous shortcomings.

...Seriously, what kind of a person was I to do something so cruel?"

"...Onee-sama..."

Shirai felt... uneasy. Her lovely, kindhearted and confident Misaka... felt lost. Vulnerable. Saddened. She understood a bit of what she had said. After all, she was herself on the same boat.

Trial and error, and perseverance had brought her to this position as a Judgement officer, where she could use her abilities to help others, and perhaps set an example for others to follow.

And she had a... couple of negative opinions towards Im- Level 0s.

She realized just how twisted that line of thinking was. Maybe she might have to reconsider her worldview for just a little bit. Later, though; there are fat more inportant things to worry about.

"I want to help with the case, in any way I could. Please?"

"...Sure thing Sissy," Shirai smiled. "We could use all the help we need."

"Thanks Kuroko. You're the best." Misaka felt relief rise up from her chest. The guilt from having had Saten take the Level Upper was eased, if only for a little bit. She will have a lot to make for, in regards to Saten.

She placed her hand in Shirai's shoulder as an act of gratitude, however she saw her junior schoolmate seemingly wince in pain.

"No problem Sissy, don't worry about it."

-

"You girls have a minute?" A male voice from behind turned the girls attention over their shoulder. In front of them was...

"Real-life Gekota!!!"

"U-Uh no, Onee-sama, that's not... Gekota..."

The Gekota-faced doctor, a bit confused by the brunette's remarks, gestured the both of them to his office.