Chapter 25: 2016

New Year's Eve

"Is that the last one?" Bucky asked, tossing the last box into the garbage bag.

"I think so." I replied, looking around the living room of our new home.

He closed the bag by tying it at the top and tossed it over by the front door. Our eyes met and he grinned widely. He ran over and picked me up in his arms, spinning around as I locked my legs around his hips. I laughed and planted a sweet kiss onto his lips and he tightened his grip around my body.

We broke the kiss and looked into each others eyes.

"We're officially completely unpacked. Now all we have to do is decorate for the party later." He stated.

"Steve should be here in a few to help out." I informed.

"How long is a few?" He asked, a devilish smirk playing on his lips.

I returned the expression and kissed him passionately. "Long enough."

He smirked against my lips and led me to the bedroom, kicking the door shut with his foot before making his way over to the bed.

...

Bucky came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist, resting his head on my shoulder.

"Awwww." Sam teased before taking a drink of his beer. Bucky glared at him and he smirked, wiggling his eyebrows while walking away.

"It's almost midnight." Bucky spoke against my shoulder. I hummed in response and leaned back against his body.

I took a drink of the beer I was holding and almost choked as Sam started shouting at us to come out onto the deck. Bucky let go of my waist and grabbed my hand, leading me out to where Steve, Sam, Sarah, and her two sons, AJ and Cass, were standing.

We stood in front of the railing, leaning on it slightly as we watched the stars above. Sam pulled up the ball drop on his phone and started counting down.

"Ten!" We all shouted in unison.

Bucky wrapped an arm around my waist and I turned to him, a large smile on my face.

"Nine!" Everyone except Bucky and I yelled.

He looked nervous.

"Eight!"

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Seven!"

He nodded and flashed me a smile.

"Six!"

Bucky pulled me closer to his body.

"Five!" 

I joined in on the shouting, Bucky did as well.

"Four!"

Bucky's grip loosened.

"Three!"

He took a swig of his beer before removing his arm from around my waist and shuffling a few feet away.

"Two!"

I turned to face him, a frown tugging on my lips. He flashed me a nervous smile and I cocked my head to the side.

"One!"

He pulled something out of his pocket and my eyes widened. A small velvet box rested in his hand as he got down on one knee.

"Happy New Year!"

Fireworks shot off into the midnight sky, spelling out the words 'Will you marry me?' in bright letters.

I clasped my hand over my mouth and laughed softly. Bucky grinned and raised an eyebrow.

"What do you say, doll? Will you marry me?"

A tear cascaded down my face and I quickly wiped it off as I nodded. He slipped the ring on my finger and I knelt down in front of him, taking his face in my hands and kissing him deeply.

Cheers came from behind us as Bucky stood up and pulled me with him, spinning us around and grinning like a kid in a candy store.

"Finally!" Sam shouted. Sarah jabbed him in the side with her elbow. "Ow!"

Bucky placed me back down on my feet and wiped the tears off my cheeks. Steve walked over and pulled us both into a hug.

"I'm happy for you guys." He smiled.

...

Bucky and I laid on the couch, his arms wrapped around my waist from behind as I admired the ring on my finger.

Everyone else had already gone to bed. We had enough spare rooms for everyone to stay over since it was too far a distance to drive, especially if they were drinking.

"Do you like it?" He asked, his thumb brushing over my hip.

"It's beautiful." I replied, leaning back and kissing him.

I turned around in his arms and rested my head on his chest, wrapping my arms around him and snuggling into his warm body.

"Happy New Year, Buck." I mumbled, my eyes falling shut.

"Happy New Year, doll."

He pressed a kiss to the top of my head as I fell asleep comfortably.