Chapter 11: 2016

A Few Weeks later...

My phone started buzzing from the coffee table, making me jump awake and fall off the couch. I landed flat on my face and let out a muffled groan into the rug. I smacked my hand on the coffe table, feeling around for my phone, and answering it once I found it.

"Hello?" I answered, rolling onto my back and pressing the phone to my ear.

"Y/n, I can only see your ear." Bucky spoke from the other end of the call, chuckling lightly.

I pulled the phone back and looked at the screen, letting out a soft 'oh' as I saw Bucky's grinning face.

"Why are you on the floor?" He laughed.

"Why are you not on the floor?" I mumbled.

"What?"

"What?"

He shook his head and smiled brightly. "What are you doing tonight?"

"I have to work until three, but after that I'm not doing anything." I informed, sitting up and leaning back against the couch. "Why?"

"Steve's going to this party that Stark is hosting. He said I we were invited."

"Why was I invited? I've never even met any of those people."

"I couldn't tell you." He paused. "So, wanna go with me?"

I thought about it for a minute. "Do I have to dress fancy?"

"Yeah, but there will be good rich people food."

"Okay, I'll go."

"I'll pick you up at six." He smiled.

"See you then."  I copied the expression and blew him a kiss before ending the call.

...

I took a shower and rummaged through my closet, trying to find something nice to wear. Eventually, I slipped on a dark red dress which had a halter top neckline and a slit on each side of my waist. It hugged my body slightly, falling just below my mid thigh. I paired it with my black leather jacket, and a pair of black block heel ankle boots which had red laces that matched the color of my dress.

Seconds after I finished getting ready, there was a knock at the door. I quickly grabbed my keys and phone, shoving them into my purse as I let Bucky in. His eyes brightened and his lips wore a matching smile. He had on a black button up shirt with a red tie and black dress pants.

"Ready?" He asked. I nodded and pecked him on the lips before walking out and shutting the door behind us.

...

Bucky's hand rested on the small of my back, his thumb gently running back and forth in a soothing matter. The doors to the elevator dinged before opening, allowing us to view the crowded party room.

"Holy shit!" I exclaimed as we stepped out of the elevator and the doors shut behind us. My jaw dropped as I looked at the scene in front of me.

"Woah." Bucky muttered under his breath.

"I thought you've been here before." I turned to him and furrowed my eyebrows. "Why are you woah-ing?" 

"I didn't expect this many people to actually like Stark." He stated, narrowing his eyes as he looked around.

"Yo, Gandalf!" Someone shouted from the crowd. We turned our heads simultaneously, looking towards the voice. Bucky rolled his eyes and sighed playfully as a dark skinned man approached us.