Chapter 3: 1940

Ages:
Bucky: 23
Y/n: 22
Steve: 22

I ran up to the edge of the lake and admired the sunset which was peaking behind the trees. I sat down my things and turned around. Bucky and Steve were casually walking in my direction, Bucky wearing a bright smile on his face and nudging Steve's arm with his elbow. He said something but he was still too far away for me to hear. Steve rolled his eyes as they stopped a few feet away from me.

"Could you walk any slower?" I groaned playfully as Steve sat down on a blanket in the sand. He pulled out a sketchbook and a pencil, starting to draw the lake and trees behind it. Bucky unbuttoned his shirt and threw it onto the blanket next to Steve's leg. He turned to me as a mischievous glint flashed through his eyes, a grin breaking out onto his face. "Bucky, no." I warned, trying to keep my eyes on his and not on his now bare muscular chest.

He ignored my protests and warnings and lunged forward, picking me up and tossing me over his shoulder before walking into the slightly cold lake water and dunking us both under. We resurfaced moments later, his arms tightly wrapped around my body as I gasped for air and glared at him. He laughed, his smile growing wider. I forcefully pushed a large wave of water at him and smirked. He closed his eyes and spit water out of his mouth, brushing the water off his face with a swift stroke of his hand.

I laughed and swam off before he could fight back. I pulled myself up onto a small diving dock and dangled my legs over the edge of the platform, softly kicking the water below me.

"Steve, come on!" I shouted, cupping my hands around my mouth. He looked up from his sketchbook, glancing at me and then Bucky before looking back down and continuing to draw. I rolled my eyes as Bucky sat down beside me, his leg brushing up against mine as he moved closer and wrapped an arm around me. "Bucky, what do you think you're doing?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

He turned to me and looked down into my eyes, his blue ones looking extremely vibrant against the setting sun. "I have no idea what you're talking about." He smiled innocently as his hand reached up to cup my cheek, his thumb grazing over my bottom lip.

My breathing hitched as he slowly leaned in, our faces a mere inch apart. Just as his lips were about to reach connect with mine, a mosquito started buzzing around our heads. I broke eye contact and pulled back, swatting at the flying disease.

"We should probably go back to Steve. It's getting pretty late." I spoke, slipping off the platform and back into the water. I could hear Bucky mumble something under his breath but couldn't make out the words. He sighed before swimming after me.

I wrapped a towel around myself and sat down next to Steve, hovering over his shoulder and trying to see what he was drawing. He quickly closed his sketchbook and sat it down next to him before I could see it.

A cool breeze whipped around us, sending a shiver down my spine. I wrapped the towel tighter around my body and looked up at the stars. "Come on." Bucky pulled me to my feet, draping an arm over my shoulders.

"I want to watch the stars." I stated, staying put in the place I was standing but leaning ever so slightly into the warmth of Bucky's gentle touch.

"You're hair is wet and its getting cold out here. We can go back to Steve's place and watch the stars from there, where it's warm." He rubbed the palm of his hand up and down my upper arm, sending more warmth flowing threw my body.

By now, Steve was already walking away from the lake, his sketchbook pressed tightly in his skinny arms as he neared the curve in the road. I sighed and let Bucky lead me over to where Steve was.

It wasn't long before we were back at Steve's apartment. Steve took a shower and went to bed. Bucky and I stayed up for a while longer, sitting out on the front steps in warmer, more comfortable clothing while watching the stars above us.

He slipped his arm around me once again and I leaned into his touch, subconsciously resting my head on his shoulder and sighing at the comfort and warmth that was brought with his touch.

"It's beautiful." I smiled lightly, admiring the dark sky that was speckled with little glimmering dots. My eyelids grew heavy. I gave in and let myself fall into a peaceful sleep, feeling safe in Bucky's arms.

"Yeah, it is." He smiled, brushing his thumb over my clothed shoulder as he looked down at me with loving eyes. Unbeknownst to me, he placed a soft, gentle kiss to the top of my head as I lay asleep on his shoulder.

...

You guys are not mentally prepared for this story.

:)