Chapter 21: 2016

A/N: I am making my own version of some things to fit with this story so not everything is going to line up with the movies.

...

Early September

I mixed a few fruity drinks and sat them on a tray before balancing it on one hand and sitting it down on a table. I placed the drinks in front of their designated buyer before bringing the empty tray back behind the bar.

"Another?" I asked the woman sitting on the corner stool. She nodded, smiling at me as I slid her another drink.

The bar's phone started to ring, but someone else answered it.

"Y/n, you've got a call!" Amanda, my co-worker, hollered.

"I'm kind of busy right now. Tell them to leave a message." I replied, sliding another customer their drink.

She poked her head around the corner. "Y/n, she says it's urgent."

My head snapped towards her direction. My heart thumped faster as I rushed over to the phone, taking it from her grasp and holding it up to my ear.

"H-hello?" I asked, my voice wavering despite my efforts to sound calm.

"This is Metropolitan General Hospital, is this Y/n Y/l/n?" A soft female voice questioned.

"This is she." I nervously fiddled with the rings on my fingers as I waited for her to continue.

"We had a patient brought in about a half hour ago under the name...James Barnes. You are the first person in his emergency contact information. Does this sound correct?"

My heart dropped to my stomach. I started to speak but no noise came out. Tears pricked in my eyes and I cleared my throat before attempting again. "Yes. Is he okay? What happened?"

"He was in an accident and was recently admitted. The status of his condition is not something I am allowed to share over the phone. That is a matter only the doctor may discuss and it must be done in person."

"I'll be right there." I spoke. My hands trembled as I tried to hang up the phone. I walked into the back room and grabbed my purse with my keys and cell phone in it. I untied my apron and tossed it into my locker before slamming it shut.

I rushed out of the breakroom and back up to the front of the bar. My head was spinning as I went to talk to Amanda.

"What's going on?" She asked, her voice laced with concern.

"My boyfriend was in an accident. I need to get down to the hospital." I fumbled with my phone as I tried to talk and call Steve at the same time.

"Oh shit." She gasped and pulled me into a quick hug. "I'll cover your shifts. Be careful."

I nodded and sprinted out the front door. I called Steve as I ran to my car. He picked up on the second ring.

"Steve, Bucky's been in an accident." I stated, quickly getting in my car and pulling onto the street.

"What? Is he okay?" He asked.

"I don't know. They won't tell me anything until I get there."

"What hospital?"

"Metro-General."

"I'm on my way."

...

I sprinted up to the front desk of the hospital.

"Patient name?" The man asked.

"Bucky—James Barnes." He started typing on the computer. "I'm his girlfriend. I got a call saying he was in an accident."

"James Barnes...He just went into surgery. He should be out in an hour, give or take."

"Okay."

I didn't sit down in the waiting area. Instead, I paced around as I waited for Steve to arrive. 

Pacing around the room was the only thing keeping me from breaking. At least, that was until Steve walked through the doors.

As soon as I saw him, tears swelled up in my eyes and I couldn't hold it in any longer. He threw his arms around me and held me close as I mumbled what the man at the desk told me. He stroked my hair and rubbed my back comfortingly. I cried softly into his shirt.

We stood there for what felt like hours before Steve convinced me to sit down. At some point my head fell to Steve's shoulder and I drifted asleep.

...

Steve nudged me gently, waking me up.

"Y/n, get up. The doctor's here." He said softly.

My eyes shot open and I jumped to my feet, quickly walking up to the man. He was around six foot tall and had on black scrubs with a matching cap, his dark hair poking out through the bottom of it in the back.

He smiled politely as we approached.

"Y/n, I presume?" He asked, holding out a hand for me to shake. I nodded and shook his hand. He looked to Steve and shook his hand as well as Steve introduced himself. "I'm Dr. Stephen Strange. I have news concerning Mr. Barnes' condition."

To be Continued...