Thirty eight | Colten

Start from the beginning

'I never wear these at school. Don't make me regret it,' I take his comment to heart but I forget about it just as quickly when I look back at my laptop. 'And you like a non cheer girl once and suddenly you feel like you're better than everyone else. You're not special.'

'Bry is special. Shut up.' He kicks me in the arm since he's sitting opposite me in the window seat. Luckily the pillow on my arm protects me from his abuse so I kick him back, before staring at my black document.

English has to be my worst subject since it requires you to be creative. I have to write a stupid essay and the theme is; pain and punishment. Since it's a narrative it needs to be a story. Writing a story really isn't my expertise since I work better with actual equations. With equations there's limited methods and one answer so all I need to do is remember. Being told to write anything and not knowing if its good or not, scares me. I'm being judged on how my brain works instead of how well I can remember something. Getting a low mark on this would be a stab into my ego since it's just me writing what I thought was good. I tried and I failed and that would kill me.

'What?' Damon speaks and I look up at him which makes me realize that I suddenly stopped typing.

'Nothing...I just hate English.' I shut my laptop in defeat. I'll do it tonight since academic insecurity is eating me up right now.

Its not long until the bell goes off and we immediately get out of the library before the teacher notices Damon. He has a problem with sneaking into my classes instead of being in his own and the teachers know that about him so we have to leave quickly.

Heading down the hallway I'm practically glued to my phone. Im not actually doing anything on it but I would rather stare at my settings than make eye contact with people staring at me right now. I keep getting attention because of the whole thing with Lilah and someone recorded it an posted it so everyone knows now. Its normal for me and Damon to get stares when walking down the hall because of our sports rep but these kind of stares are just uncomfortable.

'Dude stop being insecure. You've always gotten peoples attention, Mr Bigshot,' Damon nudges me when he sees me randomly sliding though apps with no purpose. 'Let them stare...they're just jealous that two of the hottest girls want a piece of you. It'll brush over in a week,'

Appreciating what I assume was Damon's version of a compliment, I put my phone in my back-pocket and look up. Looking behind me I see Jordan about to turn down a different hall so I tap Damon since he was so persistent to see him. They're close so maybe they's something he wants to tell him.

'Dude there's Ivers,' I point out and Damon turns to look before grabbing me and dragging me towards him. Feeling confused I pull my hand but he only let's go once we reach him. 'Dude what was that?'

'Hey Ivers!' Damon says so sarcastically that I cannot tell if he's angry or genuinely excited to see him. It catches Jordan's attention and he turns and genuinely seems happy to see Damon.

'What's up man—' he tries to speak but is cut off by Damon's fist hitting him across the face. Flinching, I hold my breath as I try to figure out why the fuck he did that.

'Wow that was anticlimactic.' Damon shakes his knuckles as Jordan wipes the blood from his nose in confusion. By this point people have stopped to figure out what's going on.

'What the fuck was that?!' Jordan seems pissed off so he shoves Damon's chest. 'Is this a joke or something because that fucking hurt.'

Not doing anything for a while Damon looks him down before unexpectedly grabbing his shoulders and kicking him in the chest. Jordan stumbles back and slams his back against the corridor corner which makes me wince. Touching my spine I can almost feel the second hand pain from that.

'Doesn't feel so good being the powerless one in a scenario? Does it?' Damon kicks him in the gut whilst he's on the floor. Watching Jordan get up he searches Damon's eyes for an explanation.

'Is this some sort of sick joke or something?' He sounds just as confused as I feel. Coughing up blood before cursing under his breath. Damon takes the opportunity to try and attack again but Jordan expects it and dodges it. Slamming his hand into the corner of the wall he swears and stumbles back.

Grabbing Jordan's shirt as he falls back he pulls him to the ground so he flips himself over so Jordan lands back-down onto the floor. I touch my spine again as I wonder how much damage he's getting to it right now. He'd be lucky if it didn't get fractured.

Watching Damon climb onto him so he can restrict how much he can move he moves down to his ear. Its hard to hear what he's saying since everyone is being loud and recording and he's most likely whispering.

'Who told you that.' Jordan seems pissed off and I'd kill to know what Damon told him.

'A friend of a friend.' He says in an angry tone. Glancing down at his hand he's still holding it and I worry that he broke it. I also worry how Jordan's back is doing since he seems to be having trouble to sit up. Or he's having trouble because Damon is literally on top of him.

If they did hurt themselves then they won't be able to play at any games for the next couple weeks. I'll literally kill myself if I have to play with the subs for weeks on end. They always struggle to keep up and I'm struggling to keep my patience. I dont think half of them do any of the work plans their given and coach barely checks if they do. Its so biased sometimes.

Damon suddenly gets up and places his foot on Jordan's ankle which worries me. If you put press down like that it can easily snap.

Frowning when I realize thats most likely what he wants I feel like I should do something. As his best friend I should stop him from doing stupid things like this but i'm way too invested. He's never gone as far to break a bone unless the person did something horrible. Because of that he never gets assault charges because it would mean the other person would have to say why he did it and get themselves in trouble.

'Damon. Dude I have a game next week and i cant play soccer with a broken ankle.' He stares at Damon's leg with a worried expression. He's broken so many bones that you know he's not fucking around when he threatens it.

'You fucked up my hand and now i wont be able to play so im just returning the favour.' He says as he presses down on the ankle. Looking up i dont want to see it but I can hear just the crack over all the talking from the people surrounding them.

'Damon what the fuck?!' I hear a girls voice shove past me and I notice it to be Katie.

She's the only one who ever dares to go near Damon when he's doing shit like this to other people. It's probably because he wouldn't hurt her since they're siblings so she tries to get him to not kill people. It's really useful most of the time since he usually doesnt stop after breaking a bone so she forces him with the use of threats.

Moving again when I notice Brylan shove past the crowd to see what's going on. She stands next to me in shock as she tries to figure out what's happening.

'What happened.' She looks up at me which startles me since she doesnt really speak to me but she seems concerned.

'Damon just randomly punched Ivers and it caused a fight.' I explain, 'thats all I know since it seemed unprovoked.'

'It's not unprovoked.'