Chapter 4: Complete Incompletion

What you wear is dependant on both choice and circumstances. The environment really changes a person from how they look to what they put on. This simple fact was still open for controversy though.

When under the harsh sun for extended periods of time, people adapt to have skin that can defend from too much ultraviolet rays. Clothes also had to be adapted when the weather was a particular kind.

Pandorica might not have had extreme weather, but it was always dark. The sun was only around for a few hours, but the temperature was somehow still fine. Not in subzero temperatures as one would expect. It made the average skin tone quite pale.

Since they didn't have to adapt to excessive sunlight causing harm to their bodies, they instead had to adapt to a life where days were shorter and nights were longer. The average person sleeping a lot.

What did this have to do with anything?

Well, it transitioned into something.

Some might think this was a weird question, but...

...what meaning does an old European dress have?

Outerwear and underwear had evolved from layers next to a chemise (typically a woman's white shirt-like undergarment or nightdress). Old-fashioned dresses now were becoming more creative.

Aristocracy thrived to show off their wealth and labor force by wearing really impractical dresses. It was to the point wearing talons on their index, middle, and thumb symbolised their status.

Because they were showing off their comforts. That they didn't even need to use their hands since they had servants. Those who were loyally caring for them. Taking care of even the most basic needs.

This meant that though they had the technology for easier worn dresses, they CHOSE to make it difficult to put on. They had no need for independently putting it on themselves. It was their decision.

Thus, things had advanced in a strange way.

Marvels made up of several layers that needed a team of servants to expertly take off and put on. It was a sign of high status. So how would these nobles adapt when they were introduced with easier alternatives from Earth? Would they see the light?

Realise it was pointless to strut like peacocks?

Embrace comfort and do away with their 'layers'?

Hardly...

People stayed the same.

Even though Pandorica had multiple chances to change, a society that knew no failure wouldn't dare to stray far from the familiar. Life wouldn't be the same if clothes were suddenly convenient to wear.

It was the same thought with technology.

The introduction to the futuristic information tool known as 'Psynet' was groundbreaking. It was met with fear and horror from those in power. After all, a commoner with knowledge was far too dangerous!

Many aristocrats claimed that commoners would use it for unsavoury means to harm the nation. These claims still being subject to debate. Of course, only among those with power could discuss this issue.

Because why would filthy, uneducated peasants have a right to decide what goes on in their lives? Their prejudice was clear, and even the kindest noble knew they shouldn't upset the balance of hierarchy.

The result was Psynet became an exclusive property of those who were 'worthy' of having it. The benefits given exclusively to nobles. A way to demonstrate how amazing they were than mere commoners.