Desperate Rescue

Y/N: I don't like this. Being stuck here I mean, away from everyone else. It makes me feel like they're keeping something from us.

The commander's words were still echoing in my mind.

Bertholdt: Or us from them...

Connie: Why would they want to keep us from them? It makes no sense, we haven't done anything wrong.

Reiner: It's a pretty dumb idea Bertholdt, if they suspected us of something they would have told us. You steal any food with Sasha after we got back Y/N?

Y/N: Maybe a little...

It had been two days since the expedition. Two days since the "successful mission" that the commander had dubbed which had seen almost a quarter of the scouts wiped out. Even the special operations squad. After getting back Sasha, Connie, Reiner, Bertholdt and I were singled out alongside Ymir and Christa and some others before they informed us that we were to change into civilian wear and be escorted to an isolated base by section commander Miche and his squad.

We were all sat at tables doing nothing, I watched Reiner play chess with Bertholdt whilst Connie and Sasha were leaning on their hands and staring out of the window looking bored.

Connie: My village isn't far from here you know...

Sasha: Mine is close by as well.

Connie: Damn why can't I go visit?

Sasha: Mine told me not to come back until I'm normal.

Connie: They said I was too puny to be a soldier! I am a genius though I showed them, good enough to be in the top ten as well. Hey Y/N you want to sneak out at night to go visit?

Y/N: Reiner that was a terrible move- oh sorry what did you say Connie?

Connie: Never mind, you wouldn't agree anyway.

Sasha: Yeah you hate breaking rules I have to really push you to help me liberate more food for us all and you still grumble whilst doing that.

Y/N: Well excuse me for not wanting to get into trouble like you all the time! You know-

Reiner: Connie if you're serious then I will help you.

Connie: Huh how come?

I narrowed my eyes as I looked at Reiner's expressionless face.

Y/N: What are you playing at Reiner?

Reiner: As Y/N was saying earlier, don't you think its odd? I mean we are put on standby in civilian clothes and aren't allowed to train.

Reiner stood up from his chess game and I eagerly took his place and faced Bertholdt whilst he walked to the window that overlooked the courtyard.

Reiner: And what's more, the other soldiers are all fully armed, we aren't even on the front lines and they are armed?

Connie: Well there are bears.

Reiner moved back to the table and much to my disappointment, shoved me out of his recently vacated spot to continue his game that I had picked up.

Sasha: Yeah bears are in the forests.

Y/N: Guns can handle them just fine, so why are they in odm gear.

I worriedly looked at Reiner who glanced back at me, clearly sharing in my concerns.

Y/N: Something is definitely wrong here, the commander has to know something or he wouldn't have isolated all of us.

Sasha rotated in her seat and laid her head down on the table whilst I looked at her, amused at the bored expression that had been plastered on her face since we got here.