Chapter Thirty-Two

Zacznij od początku

"You did good, Isa. Now that we have the crystal, let's get out of here. Being this far into the jungle has really set me on edge."

Isaac stepped up and pulled me close, giving me a quick kiss before following the others out of the room. We did it, we got the crystal and were one step closer to closing the breach. Now we just have to figure out how to use the darn thing, and possibly release the goddess from inside.

The air in the temple felt lighter as we walked through the main room as if the removal of the crystal had lifted the weight of protecting the goddess off its shoulders. The temple could finally take a breath and sleep. I gently placed the crystal in my bag and smiled.

"I'm so ready to get out of here and back to the city." Isabella chimed, bouncing lightly on her feet. We were all distracted by what we had accomplished that we forgot about the traps. Until a soft click sounded and everyone froze.

We didn't know who triggered it until it was too late. A spear shot from the wall and pierced Isabella in the hip.

"Isa!"

Everything moved in slow motion as I watched my sister's face scrunch up in pain and then her eyes rolled back and she collapsed. The world shifted and I was back in the forest, drenched in rain and covered in mud, rocking back and forth, with a dying Isaac in my lap. My heart screaming for it not to be true. I couldn't move. I couldn't breathe.

No...No.This isn't happening, it couldn't be, right?

"Lizbeth?!" Isaac's voice broke through my trance, he was kneeling in front of me. Tears streamed down my face. I tried to focus on him but my vision kept blurring as I looked behind him. My heart pounded in my ears.

Zeke knelt beside Isabella, frantically tapping her cheeks, magic pouring from his hand as he tried to heal the open wound. The spear lay shattered in two next to him.

"Isaac we have to go! Now! Is Liz okay?"

My sobs caught in my throat as he picked Isabella's limp body, her arm swung back and forth against his side.

"Lizbeth? Honey, we have to go. We have to get Isabella back to the city." Isaac said calmly. His hands gripped my shoulders, shaking me gently. His brows were drawn and he looked so tired. His hair had fallen out of the bun and framed his sweating face.

"I... I can't move. This can't be happening...Isaac?" I whispered.

"Hey." His hands moved up and cupped my face "she's going to be fine. But we have to get back to the city before the Arvellalei come back."

My body didn't want to move but I made myself stand. Isaac gave me an encouraging smile, grabbed my hand, and started running.

The forest blurred around us as we raced back to the city. Isabella tightly strapped to Zeke. Our Engi rode hard and fast, kicking up dirt with each stride, in less time than it took us to get to the temple we made it back to the sparkling city.

The Keeper was there waiting for us in the courtyard outside the stables, with a couple of healers. Her face was set with concern as she helped Zeke and Isabella off his Engi.

"Our forward scouts said one of you was injured, what happened?" she asked.

Isaac and I handed over the Engi to the stable hands and followed the Keeper into the main house. Zeke didn't stop; he carried Isabella down the corridor towards the bedrooms.

"Isabella will be okay, she's strong and we have the antidote to the poison the Arvellalei use. Now tell me... What happened? Am I to expect Arvellalei on my doorstep?"