Chapter 85: Anniversary

Start from the beginning

—-

April 23, 1641
Cartalpas, Holy Mirishial Empire
Commercial District

Seagulls flew overhead, cawing as they swept down on an unattended batch of McDonald's fries sitting on a table.

"Hey!" An elf cried out, chasing the birds away. Inspecting the damage, she was saddened to see that only a single fry remained.

The elf stared solemnly at the tragedy before her, taken aback as a shadow started to loom over her. "Yeah, that always sucks. Mind if I buy you another?"

The elf turned around. She responded to the tall human, wearing a fashionable blazer similar to, yet distinct from the suited Americans she had seen recently. "Oh, yes. I mean, I don't mind, thank you."

The two walked back into the store, with the man engaging in small talk, "You know, this is the first time I've visited the Holy Mirishial Empire. I've gotta say, the city is beautiful!"

"Oh, thank you! We really like to maintain our cities. The rest of the world looks up to us," she said, staring at the pin on the man's blazer. "Or rather, looked up to us. I assume you're an American?" Her friendly tone faded.

"Yes, I am."

The elf nodded. "So what brings you to the Holy Mirishial Empire? Here to compare our cities to your own?"

The man was caught off guard by the slight aggressiveness of the elf's question, but evaded it. "No, I'm here to see a friend. You know Minister Phiam?"

The elf's attitude suddenly shifted upon hearing the name, hoping that she didn't accidentally offend someone important. "Oh, of course! He's one of our top diplomats!"

"Yeah, he invited me here for a dinner party later tonight, and more celebratory events tomorrow. You know, marking the next step in Mirishial-American relations and all that." The man was finally next in line, and he ordered, "I'll have a bacon quarter pounder with cheese, two large fries, and two large drinks, please."

"That'll be twelve dollars and fifty-four cents, sir," The cashier informed him.

"Do y'all accept card or Apple Pay?" The man asked.

"Yes, we do."

The elf watched in fascinated as the American completed the transaction with a blocky device. Her earlier prejudices against the Americans were swept aside by curiosity, as she now had the opportunity to get answers. As they walked to fill their drinks, she asked, "So, who are you?"

The man reacted in surprise and wore an apologetic expression on his face. "Oh, pardon me. How could I have forgotten to introduce myself? I'm Gordon Heiden, Secretary of State. Pleasure to meet you," he extended his hand.

The elf shook his hand. "I'm Ephine. I apologize if I was rude earlier."

"No, I completely understand," Heiden replied. "It's tough when the status quo is disrupted out of nowhere, but I have a feeling that it's all intentional, you know? My entire country couldn't have gotten summoned for no reason, right?"

Gordon's order number was announced via a speaker system. After he retrieved the food, the two sat down inside and continued their conversation.

"You're right. I can still remember how shocked I was when the government announced the return of the Ancient Sorcerous Empire..." As the pieces came together, Ephine abandoned her jealousy. The Americans and their incredible technologies, economy, and everything else may have hurt her pride, but what was this sacrifice in the face of total annihilation? She felt sorry for being envious of their status and power when she should have been thankful to them and to the gods for helping Elysia stand a chance against the evils to come. "Maybe that's why you were brought here? To protect us from the Sorcerers?"