"We're going there because we have a surprise for you," Erin said. "Come on, let's go in."

"What surprise?" Clementine asked with some excitement as they all got out of the car. "Mom? Dad?" she cried when neither of them answered her. She had to hurry after them, going into the store right behind them.

The sales counter was near to the entrance, they all discovered. A well-built man with grey hair and a jovial face was working it, currently not serving anyone. Jay led the way over to him.

"Morning. Help you folks?" the man asked.

"Morning. Looking for Brian?" Jay said.

"You found him."

"Ah, great. Michael Acevedo gave me your name. We're looking for wrestling attire for our daughter."

"Ah, Jay and Erin?" Brian asked with a smile, obviously having received the call ahead that Michael had promised to make.

"Wait, what?" Clementine asked at the same time, looking at Jay as if she must have heard him wrong.

Jay turned to look at her, noticing Erin smiling to herself. They had agreed that this would be the best way to drop the surprise, and it had worked perfectly. "I said we're looking for wrestling attire for our daughter. We booked you some wrestling lessons."

Clementine looked suspicious of some kind of prank being played on her. "For real?"

"For real," Erin said happily. "We'll talk about it in more detail when we're done here."

"Oh my god! Mom! Dad!" Clem cried. The delight on her face and in her voice already made the money spent worthwhile. "Thank you! I don't even know what to say!"

Brian laughed, enjoying the moment. "That's awesome."

"You don't need to say anything else for now, kiddo," Jay said.

Ordinarily Clem would likely have objected to being called kiddo in front of another adult, but in that moment she didn't care at all.

"Don't suppose you know what sizes you need?" Brian asked. Another customer had lined up to be served, so it was time to get down to business.

"I have Clem's sizes right here," Erin said. She took a folded up piece of paper out of her coat pocket and handed it to Brian.

"You guys came prepared. What is even happening?" Clem asked in bewilderment.

Jay put an arm around her, not wanting her to get overwhelmed. "We went to a wrestling school and talked to the owner. We did a deal on five lessons, to see if you're suitable for more. Before you can start, you need attire to train in."

"I can get you something basic in a couple days," Brian said. "If you want something custom I'll need at least a week."

"We haven't got a week. The first lesson is Wednesday night," Jay revealed.

"It is?" Clem squealed. "Oh my god, I'm so not ready. But I'm so excited!"

"Okay, on that timescale it'll have to be something quite basic," Brian said. He looked at Clementine. "What colour and style would you like?"

"Something not too revealing," Jay said before she got a chance to speak. He was well aware that there would be teenage boys at the lessons, and he didn't want them getting to see too much of his daughter. He realised that one of the tortures of fatherhood had just begun.

"I could wrestle in pants, I think," Clem said, choosing not to go against what her dad had said.

"And one of those sports bra things," Erin suggested.