Chapter 74

Going on leave from work didn't mean a chance to relax for Erin. If anything, it meant the opposite. There was so much to be done for and with Clementine that she was likely not to have much free time on her hands for the foreseeable future.

She had started work on her long list of things to do during her drive back from the 21st, making a call to Clementine's school to update them on what had happened, and what her new living situation was. The principal had recommended that Erin and Clementine should come in to see her later in the week for a chat, and until then Clem should stay home for the sake of her mental health. Trying to throw her straight back into school life after what she had been through wasn't a good idea in the principal's mind, which pleased Erin as that was exactly what she had been thinking too.

When she had arrived home, Erin had found Clem and Hank busy watching baseball highlights on her iPad. She had to give the kid credit for having immense passion for her main interest in life.

With Clementine enjoying herself, and Hank continuing to relish his new role as grandpa, Erin had seized the opportunity to leave them to it, heading for the peace and quiet of her bedroom, where she was able to get on with placing ads for a nanny. The sooner she was able to start receiving applications, the sooner she and Jay could start interviewing candidates.

Some time later, she returned to the living room. She found Clementine enjoying a salad sandwich that had presumably been made by Hank. They were now watching an old Tom and Jerry cartoon on the TV.

"Hope you don't mind me making a sandwich?" Hank asked her.

"Mind? Of course not. Looks like you're enjoying it, Clem?"

"It's great," Clementine said, talking with her mouth full. Erin decided not to correct her on that minor behavioural error on this occasion.

"Can I speak to you in the kitchen?" Erin asked Hank.

"Sure."

He got up, and they went through to the kitchen, leaving Clem to enjoy the cartoon.

"How's she doing?" was Erin's first question, spoken quietly so that she wouldn't be overheard.

"No problems while I've been here," Hank said at a similar volume. "I think she likes me coming over. I'm becoming more of a baseball fan just by sitting with her."

"She sure knows a lot about it, doesn't she?"

"That's an understatement. Does she play baseball herself?"

"We asked her and she said she tried, but she sucked. So I guess she has the knowledge but not the natural talent. It's a shame. Listen, Hank, what I wanted to talk to you about was the nanny we need to hire. What do you think we should look for in the person we take on?"

Leaning against one of the kitchen counters, Hank thought about that for a few moments. "In an ideal world, someone who has experience dealing with a child who has been through a traumatic experience. But you also need to consider the hours you and Jay have to work, including the fact that you could be called out at any time of day, any day of the week. If possible, you need to find someone who can work around that. I'd say try and find someone who could live with you, but the apartment isn't big enough for that. So probably someone who lives close by instead."

"You're right about the hours," Erin said with a grimace. "Finding someone who's okay with working like that won't be easy, and assuming I can find someone, they won't come cheap either." Oh well, she thought, there was no price she was prepared to put on making sure Clem was taken care of. Whatever it took, she would make it happen. That was her responsibility as mother. From now on, Clem had to come first.