Chapter 76

It was the last evening of Erin's two week leave period. That fact had her feeling down, so she had made herself a pink gin to take the edge off.

"Think I'll join you in one of those," Jay said when he came back into the living room, returning from Clementine's bedroom. He promptly disappeared again, then reappeared with his own healthy glass of gin. It wasn't usually a drink he would choose, but they had no beer in.

"How's Clem?" Erin asked as he sat down next to her on the couch.

"She was okay once she got settled in bed. I read two chapters of Lord of the Rings to her. She loves it as much as I did when I was her age. I had to read it myself back then though. No chance of my dad reading to me."

"You're an amazing dad, Jay," Erin said in a heartfelt manner, cuddling up to him. "I think it's so sweet that you've taken to reading to her."

"At first I thought she might not want me to, that she might think she was too old for it. But choosing a book she's interested in seems to have worked. She really enjoys it, and that makes me happy in a way I've never experienced before. I guess that's fatherhood."

"Yeah," Erin smiled before taking a sip of her drink. "The poor thing. It's been tough the past few days."

It had, Jay thought. Clementine's grief, remarkable in the early days after the shooting by its frequent apparent absence, now seemed to have caught up to her. There had been a lot of crying, and even some bad behaviour in recent days. Both he and Erin had done their best to find the almost impossible balance between being there for her emotionally, but also maintaining discipline. No matter what she had been through, Clem couldn't have free reign to not do as she was told.

"She'll be okay, Er. She knows she has us, and I believe she knows she's here to stay. I'm certain that's what she wants. No one could take better care of her than we are. Hopefully whoever evaluates her case for Child Services sees it that way because they're the only obstacle now."

Erin hadn't told him about the questionable deal she had made with Sam Miller, aware that he might not approve of bartering over Clem's future, even if only to secure it. She imagined it wouldn't prove to be relevant anyway, so she saw no point in potentially having an argument about it.

"It'll be fine, Jay. They'll talk to Clem, and what she says will have a big influence on the decision. Can't imagine she'll be anything but positive."

"Yeah, of course," Jay said. He sipped some of his whisky while putting his arm around Erin as she rested against him. "Your hair is getting longer."

"Yes, I'm going to let it grow. I'm bored of having it short. And I'm going to let it go back to its natural colour as well."

"Very hot," Jay said softly, kissing her.

"Thank you," she said happily.

They sat there in contented silence for a minute or two, both finishing their drinks.

"Fucking Bayley Martinez," Jay said as he put his empty glass on the floor, talking to himself as much as to Erin. "I still can't believe it. Wait until the team find out tomorrow. There's going to be a bad atmosphere in the bullpen."

"Yep. But they're going to have to suck it up. The FBI and CPD made this deal, we're just the idiots who get lumbered with it. Honestly, it's not even a bad idea, having one of the big players in Chicago actually working with us. I just wish it wasn't Martinez. It's personal with her, which is entirely why she got us involved. I'll straighten it out with the team tomorrow. We'll have a meeting first thing since I'm taking charge again. Speaking of, I logged on while you were in with Clem, and I speed read everyone's recent paperwork. Seems you did a great job in charge of the unit, Jay."