Chapter 16 - Conversations around the fire

(P.O.V- Amelia's) -

I made sure the bandage was secure as I walked to the Gryffindor common room. The portrait opened slowly to reveal a Harry sitting in front of the fireplace, elbows resting on his knees as he held his wand in between his hands, these days it seems rather odd to see him without Ron. I walked up and quietly sat down next to him. I gazed at the fire as he did, though it wasn't particularly interesting, why was he so concentrated on it?

"You know if you keep staring you're going to need new prescriptions." That elicited a small smile on his friend's face.

"Sorry Amelia. I have a lot on my mind right now, but..can I ask you a question?" I turned my gaze to him, raising my eyebrows slightly as if to say continue, "Your parents aren't in the picture anymore right? Hagrid told me a little bit before we visited you. Do you ever wish..that you could see them? I know it's not the same for everybody, that's why I'm asking."

"All the time. I have no idea what happened to them, but I know that at least one of them had magic. The Gringotts trip, the vault Hagrid showed me had so much. It was honestly a little overwhelming. I don't know anymore. This whole world is overwhelming, but I can't help but to be glad I'm here." Harry nodded, "I get what you mean. People are out here either scared of me or gathering around me like I'm some sort of prize. The reason I was asking about your parents..I found a mirror the other day. But it wasn't just any mirror. I saw my parents Amelia. I showed Ron, but he saw himself as Quidditch Captain. Dumbledore did catch me though, I'm sorry, he's moving it. He said it showed our true desires. I wish that I would have gone to you and shown you it."

I didn't speak for a moment. I wasn't upset at Harry by any means. For some reason talking to him felt different than talking with others. Ron and Hermione were good company, maybe it's the fact that we're both orphans. That we can empathize with one another better.

"It's alright Harry. Maybe I'll find out more about them one day."

I'm really happy for you.

"You're doing it again! Speaking in my head! Wait-"

Quidditch

Is that the first thing you could think of?? Quidditch??

Harry looked away guiltily.

..maybe

seriously though, how come we can..talk to each other like this.

maybe it's a form of Legilimency?

Le what now

forget about the name, but I read a little bit about it somewhere. It's a different from what's happening here, but it seems like it could be related? Either way, I assume we're not the first witch and wizard to have this connection thing, who knows maybe it's an orphan trait

An orphan trait?! Amelia! You did not jus-

ok! ok! My bad!!

"Let's not..tell anyone about it though. I don't want to draw any unneeded attention, especially when you're in the situation that you are." Harry definitely didn't need anything else for the public to pry into his life.

"Speaking of not telling things. No one really knows Snape is your- uh- dad now."

"Don't-..don't call him that."

"Right. Sorry."

"You don't need to apologize don't worry. Yes..no one knows he adopted me. What were you going to ask?"

"I was curious. He doesn't seem like the type to talk much about his personal life. Let alone to students. Would you tell anyone? I mean, not make a public announcement or anything like that. You know what I mean, I hope."

"I do." Now it was my turn to be in deep thought huh. Of course it felt weird to refer to Sna- ah Severus as dad. I'm pretty sure he would never in a million years consider me his daughter. I do appreciate all he's done to take care of me though, but we both know we're not really family. All these morbid thoughts, I hate it.

"I don't..plan..on telling people. Uh- I don't think anyone here is going to ask if I got adopted or not, then again I doubt that I'll get asked if my parents are alive. If family questions come up I'll just..dodge it. I doubt he'll want me revealing things without his permission anyways."

"What about Ron and Hermione?"

"Ron..we'll have to see. I don't trust him to not accidentally blabber about while other people are still in earshot. As for Hermione, I don't think I would mind her knowing. She seems really nice, I enjoy hanging out with her. I might tell her if it comes up, or if she asks about that kind of thing." 

"I'll keep it under lock and key then. Let's play some wizard's chess! I need some practice, Ron's been pretty much winning every time we play." I giggled as I remembered watching their numerous matches, "Sorry Harry, I don't know how to play chess." That earned me a groan of mock frustration.

"We could read! I have a pretty interesting potions book. Oh! I also have this amazing charms literature, I left it on my dorm bed because I didn't want to read it so quickl-" Harry interrupted before I could finish my spiel, "I'm so sorry Amelia, but that honestly sounds incredibly boring-"

I let out a hmph and stand up, "Well what are your bright ideas chosen one."

"Play catch with a quaffle outside?" I pretended to mull over the thought, "Let's go! Last one out is a rotten toad!" I sprinted for the exit, grabbing a random quaffle from a bin in the common room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a/n: well, another year another update huh.

in all honesty, some of the things I've written in previous chapters I don't really like. So, I'm currently going back rewriting a bunch. Most of the chapters are edited, if it appears as though there are plot holes later on it's most likely cause I changed some stuff in the beginning. not too much tho!

The early version of the story was littered with loose ends and thoughts that weren't properly developed, I'm hoping going on that I can create a better story that I can be proud of and that you can enjoy! I went through and read all of the comments and while I didn't reply to a lot (i'm shy sue me) I love everyone's support and I'm so glad that so many of you read and enjoyed my writing even though you might have given up on this book getting updates haha

no because genuinely who let me use the word 'brung' yall gotta call me out more.

Oh! and that brings up another point! If you have any questions relating to the story then feel free to comment and ask! I actually do have some stuff planned now for the story, and I think overall Ive developed a better relationship with writing and criticizing my own work so I'll be more active!

Love you guys!