4.12 Final Goodbyes

As I stared at my feet in fear, the door to the office busted wide-open once more. I didn't care for the voice as I was already consumed by unshakable despair.

"Vana! I heard what happened. You're going to get exiled, right?" Oliver asked desperately as he went to cup my hands. "It's true, right?"

Beatrice visibly tensed up once she saw Oliver approach me. Why can't this man just shift his focus towards her instead of me? She's clearly interested in him.

"I can help you stay in school." Oliver continued. Out of curiosity, I looked up at him for the first time. "My family will pay for all of the damages. You just need to accept my marriage proposal." He said while stroking my cheek.

I wanted to scoff at him. His desperation has officially become embarrassing. Does he feel no shame? How many more times do I have to reject him???

I abruptly stood up from my seat and shook Oliver off of me. "I'm not going to change my answer," I responded sternly as I looked him in the eyes hatefully. "I hope we never see each other again!"

Oliver was left fumbling for words as he watched me exit the office without uttering another word. Once outside, I released an exhale once I saw Ophelia and Cassius waiting for me.

Ophelia immediately enveloped me in a warm hug as she started to cry. "Are you really leaving?"

I tried to hold back the tears. I didn't realise how much this would hurt. Ophelia is one of the few friends I made during my travels. It's going to be lonely not seeing her anymore...

"I'm afraid so." I pulled back to give her a fake smile to try and cheer her up. "Maybe we'll meet again one day?"

Ophelia tried to wipe the tears from her eyes. "I hope so. It's going to be lonely without you..."

Once Ophelia gave me some space, I approached Cassius whose eyes were planted on the floor. He seemed... frustrated.

"Cassius?" I called out as I gently touched his shoulder.

...

There was no response. At most he looked up momentarily but refused to ever meet my gaze as he gritted his teeth.

"I'll drop out too. I don't care about this academy anyway." A smile slowly crept upon his face as he cupped my hands. "I just want to stay by your side. That's all that matters to me."

That won't do! I need him to at least stay in school if I want to complete my mission. It's a shame I can't help in overseeing it myself, but if I can hold out until the day he graduates then I can leave this world for good in any case.

"I can't let you do that." Taking his hands, I squeezed them tightly before slowly pushing them away. "You'll never become strong if you leave now."

I patted him on the head reassuringly as I forced another smile. "So, you better graduate and make up with your father! Then... you can look for me."

I tried to persuade myself that this was for the best. If I wasn't around then I wouldn't cloud his judgment anymore. He could concentrate on his studies alone... But who was I kidding? This is Cassius we're talking about here. He has a one-track mind!

As I was escorted outside of the academy, the nerves slowly crept up on me. How did I botch such a simple mission? Ugh, the bad luck just never ends with me...

Before entering the carriage prepared for me, I was pulled back by the security guards momentarily. "This will only take a second."

Just as I went to open my mouth to ask what he was doing; the guard firmly planted a hand on my chest. As a blue light emitted from his hand, it felt like my soul was being sucked dry from me. Once he was done, my knees started to buckle.

"I am afraid we cannot allow anyone who is being exiled to retain their magic."

WHAT? THAT IS SO UNFAIR!!!

I wanted to protest but I knew it wouldn't make a difference. These people are just following their protocols. So, without any regard, I was violently pushed inside of the carriage by the two security guards.

Great, now I really am useless. Robbing me of my water magic was totally uncalled for! Ugh, and just when I was finally starting to get the hang of it too...

After a long and turbulent journey, we finally arrived at our destination. From the looks of it, it was a desert ghost town with smoke polluting the air. It screamed overworking to the point of exhaustion.

As I cautiously stepped outside of the carriage, I was met with an unfriendly and wrinkled older woman puffing her cigarette in my face. "So, you're the new girl I've been told about..."

It would seem so, unfortunately for me. She gave me a quick once over as she seemed unimpressed by my stature. "Manual labour is out of the question for a shrimp like you."

I had a feeling that would be the case. I was just dreading the alternative. Ophelia did say it was common for women to become... prostitutes. I don't think I could do that. Or should I say, I don't want to do that!

"I suppose men might pay good money to own you." She remarked absentmindedly. "You're lucky, we're just about to start the auction today."

Wait. Own? As in making me their property? I-I-I didn't realise slavery was a thing in this world! As I tried to resist by dragging my heels into the ground, she applied more force as she pulled me along by the arm.

Suddenly, I felt a sharp headache come on as I got closer to the auction venue. This can't be good! Reluctantly, I opened my status window, fearing for the worst.

Transmigrator detected

N... No! Based on how shady this place looks, I find it hard to believe Nick is at this auction. Which means... Bennett is inside. I-I-I DEFINITELY CAN'T GO IN THERE NOW! IT'LL BE THE END OF THE LINE FOR ME!