1.10 Growing Pains

As I gazed into Stefan's eyes, I felt myself slowly coming back to reality. "What was I doing again?" I said absentmindedly.

Feeling frustrated with my almost robotic behaviour, Stefan pulled me down to eye level as he burns his eyes into mine. "Vana there's danger out there. Don't open it!" Stefan commanded.

"Oh, okay," I said in a monotone voice as I was still trying to comprehend what had just happened.

Stefan looked to this left and then to his right before he redirected his watchful gaze back to me. "Stefan will protect Vana tonight." And with a quick jump, Stefan landed on my bed.

Seeing as I was finally back my senses, I quickly snapped at Stefan's childish antics. "Stefan, no!" I said as I pointed a finger at him. "You cannot sleep in here. You must return to your own room!" I commanded.

With a gleeful smile, Stefan grabbed me by the arm and yanked me down onto the bed with him. A child should not have inhumane strength like this! I don't care if he's a vampire or not, this is simply wrong!

"Stefan can't sleep without Vana." The spoilt boy said as he snuggled his head into my breast. "Stefan can't breathe without Vana..."

It's one thing to disrespect boundaries it's another for a murderer to want to sleep beside me. Even though he was a child, the thought of it made me go cold.

As I tried to pull away once more, Stefan added more pressure to his grip on me. "Don't leave Stefan. People always leave Stefan..."

Uuuu... something tells me that I won't be able to sleep a wink. I guess it's both eyes open for tonight then, huh?

Despite my original plans to pull an all-nighter, I must've lost sight of my goal somewhere during the night. Seeing as once morning came around, I was slowly opening my eyes to find Stefan still holding me in his arms. Except the Stefan I saw wasn't the same Stefan I once knew.

"AHHHH!" I screamed as I fell to the ground. I scooted away and looked for something to use for protection. The closest thing I could find was one of my shoes which I aimed in front of me like a gun.

"W-W-WHAT DID YOU DO TO STEFAN?" I loudly demanded.

The boy slowly sat upright while still rubbing his eyes in a daze. "Huh? It's me, Stefan. Don't play games with me, Vana..."

"DON'T PLAY GAMES—" I quickly shook my head in frustration. "THAT SHOULD BE MY LINE!"

As I jumped to my feet to size the boy up, I lost all ounce of confidence as he did the same. Uhh... the Stefan I knew was a lot smaller than me. But the boy before me was able to just about reach my chin.

"This isn't funny..." I said in an unsure yet shaky voice. "What's going on here?"

The boy fiddled with his silver locks before giving me a gentle smile. "I must've grown in my sleep!"

I know growth spurts are a thing, but this is on a whole other level! "People don't grow like this!" I said in disbelief. "It's like you're almost a teenager now..."

Once I said that Stefan lit up like a lightbulb and ran towards my mirror. But his smile quickly faded away once he saw that he didn't cast a reflection. "Aw, man! You better not be lying to me right now!" Stefan said with a pout.

I feel like his speech has also improved. But this is all just too weird for me. I needed backup.

As I slowly opened my door, I peered down the hallway to see who was around. Lucky for me, there was Johnathan who I assumed was looking for Stefan as we speak.

"Um, Johnathan, can you come here please?" I yelled down the hallway. "We have an emergency in here!"

Johnathan came racing down the hall and once he reached my bedroom it was safe to say he also received the fright of his life. "Stefan, is that you?" Johnathan asked cautiously.

"Yup!" He said with his arms raised enthusiastically.

Johnathan turned to the side with a troubled expression. "Oh dear, this is sure to raise some questions." The doctor commented to himself.

"We should go and tell Mr Grigori right away, yes?" I said anxiously. "It would be bad if any of the other servants were to find out about this..."

Johnathan looked at me thoughtfully before he straightened himself up. "So, I take it that Mr Grigori told you the truth about Stefan's illness, yes?"

I nodded my head eagerly. "Right... in which case we absolutely cannot allow Stefan to be seen by anyone else." Johnathan declared.

"Does this mean I get to stay in Vana's room?" Stefan chimed in.

I eyed him in annoyance for his lack of boundaries. "There's no way you'll be hiding out in my room—"

"Actually, that does sound like the best course of action."

Has this old man lost his mind? Spending one whole night with a bloodthirsty vampire was my limit. There's no way I can do it again! "No way! I refuse to let him stay here!" I protested.

"We have no other choice. Besides, you'll be able to deliver all of his meals to him with ease if we do this." Johnathan stated as he made his way out the door. "I'll see to it that Mr Grigori hears of this, go fetch him something to eat in the meantime, alright?"

Just as Johnathan closed the door behind him, I was left standing there with an outstretched arm. "You can't just leave me like this..." I mumbled to myself.

As I stood there still as a statue, Stefan came up from behind and wrapped his arms around my waist. "Does this mean I get Vana all to myself now?" Stefan nestled his head into the crux of my neck and then proceeded to inhale deeply. "That makes me so happy!" He cooed.