4.4 Partners

"Well, we can always give you a complete makeover first!"

Cassius' eyes went wide as his lips started to quiver. "I-I-Is there something wrong with my appearance?" With trembling fingers, Cassius started to touch his black locks with uncertainty. "A-Am I ugly?"

"N-No, no, no!" I insisted with shaking hands. "You're very handsome, don't get me wrong!"

Cassius ceased his shaking and looked up at me in awe. "You... think I'm handsome?"

Ah geez, why does he have to give me puppy dog eyes! I swear he's too innocent, how could people possibly say he's evil?

"Yes," I responded curtly as I made my way behind Cassius to inspect his hair. "I just think it would be a shame if we didn't elevate your pre-existing attractiveness."

I suppose the best way to describe it is that Cassius currently comes across as the unfriendly weird kid who hides his face with his overgrown bangs. Definitely unapproachable to all of his classmates!

But with some minor adjustments, I'm sure I could pull off the brooding mysterious bad boy look. If he feels comfortable in his own skin, then I'm sure it'll encourage him to keep going!

Feeling motivated I coiled my arm around his, as I gave him a beaming grin. "Look, you just have to trust me, okay? I know what I'm doing here!"

After riling myself up, I proudly started to march toward the classroom door while never releasing my grip on Cassius. "Boy I'm hungry, aren't you? C'mon, let's grab some lunch!"

Upon entering the cafeteria, I was met with a bubbly Ophelia who was waving for me to join her at the empty table. However, a frown soon crossed her face upon noticing Cassius by my side.

"Vana...?" Ophelia asked in uncertainty as she eyed Cassius nervously.

I pretended that the interaction was completely normal as I merrily sat down in an empty chair beside Cassius.

"Cassius will be joining us today. I hope you don't mind." I said nonchalantly as I scrunched up my eyes happily.

Ophelia stole one last glance at Cassius before quickly darting her gaze back towards her lunch and silently resuming her meal.

It seems like it's going to take her some time to adjust to this arrangement. It's a shame, I had hoped she would've come around quicker by now...

As we all chowed down on our lunches, a dark shadow was suddenly cast down upon me. Looking up, I was met with a vexed Beatrice.

"I've come here for one reason and one reason alone." Beatrice declared in a cold and controlled voice.

Cassius looked up shyly at the scowling girl, but she refused to give him any attention as she stared at me with hate instead. "I want you to switch lab partners with me."

Hmm, so even Beatrice is a fan of Oliver? He really is Mr popular, huh.

I suppose I have no reason to object, but then again, I don't really like Beatrice. I'd much rather see her grovel as revenge for embarrassing Cassius.

I leaned back into my chair smugly. "I don't know if I feel like—"

"I-I-If you don't have any friends then I'll be your partner!" Cassius piped up eagerly. "That's what a good classmate would do, right?" Cassius continued as he looked at me for validation.

Oh, this pure boy. I get trying to be kind to connect with others, but people like Beatrice don't deserve it and will not even appreciate the gesture.

"Ew. I want Oliver, not you." Beatrice cupped her face as she slyly started to blush. "Oliver is so handsome and rich. And I mean RICH!"

What a gold digger...

Beatrice's face returned to irritation as she planted her hands firmly on her hips as to face me commandingly. "You get it now, right? So, switch with me already!" Beatrice demanded as she threw her raven locks off of her face.

Ugh, now I definitely don't feel like helping her out. Talk about a spoilt brat!

Just as I was about to retort, we were more interrupted by a smiley figure. Once he rested a hand on my shoulder, Beatrice softened as she batted her eyelashes adoringly.

"This table sure is lively." Oliver playfully joked.

"Oliver..." Beatrice mumbled in awe. She quickly went to cup his hands forcefully. "I'm failing science right now, so this girl agreed to swap lab partners with me. I hope you can tutor me one on one..."

The nerve of this girl!!! I bet she doesn't even know what my name is!

Oliver's face hardened as he looked at me in pain. "Actually, I'd rather we don't switch lab partners." He gently pushed Beatrice off of him and went to touch my shoulder once more.

Uh-oh, I don't like where this is going...

"I was really looking forward to getting to know you further, Vana," Oliver said as he crouched down to meet me at eye level. "I was hoping we could even go on a date sometime too."

Oliver's face hardened as he looked around the table. "Y'know, just the two of us."

ACK!!! This won't do at all!

I suddenly stood up from my chair and linked my arms with Cassius. "Actually, Beatrice had the right idea. You two should become lab partners instead."

I looked towards a confused Cassius hoping he'd agree. But he remained silent. I guess it's up to me to keep up with the talking then...

"Also, I can't go on a date with you, Oliver." I looked at him with a cheesy smile. "And that's because I already have plans with Cassius!" I proudly announced.

The entire cafeteria hall went silent. Geez, I didn't expect an announcement like this to make such a fuss. But then again, Cassius is pretty infamous–

Wait a minute. I think everyone has the wrong idea about what I just said.

"Are you two... dating?" Oliver said in incredulous as his eyes started to twitch.

No, no, no, no, NO! That's not what I–

"Yes. We're dating." Cassius answered on my behalf.

Hah?

As Oliver struggled to form another sentence, Beatrice couldn't be any happier at this turn of events. Slyly, she went to pat Oliver on his back.

"So, this means you'll tutor me now, right?"

Ophelia who was on the spectating end, shook her head as she played with her food anxiously. "How did things escalate so quickly? I just wanted to enjoy my sandwich in peace..." she grumbled to herself.