1.18 At the Hour of Death

Stefan's paranoia about me attempting to escape persisted throughout the following day. Rather than see his father off, he instead insisted on not leaving me alone for even a second. If I'm being honest, his jealousy was starting to become too overbearing for me at this point.

"You should've said goodbye to your father today," I said, scolding Stefan.

Stefan simply shook his head like a disobedient child in response. "It's fine. I'll see him when he returns." Stefan quickly darted his eyes towards the kitchen's back door. "Besides, I'm more concerned about Vana anyway. That man could show up at any second now."

I rolled my eyes at this. It's highly unlikely that the Count will show up during the daytime. Bennett is smarter than that. He's the type of person to have a well-thought-out plan. If he's aware of Mr Grigori's absence today like we think he is, then he'll wait for nighttime to strike.

As the sound of soft knocking could be heard at the back door, Stefan shot up like a light as he attempted to hide me behind his back. "Relax," I started. "That's just Nick. Besides me, all of the staff has been dismissed for the week."

As I opened the door, Nick sauntered inside merrily. "So, it's really just the three of us? Hmph. That's good." Nick remarked to himself.

Even though Stefan knew Nick wasn't someone he had to worry about, his eyes never left his form. I swore I heard Stefan grumble something about the boy under his breath too. Seriously, lighten up with the jealousy already!

"So eh, can we go over the plan one last time?" I piped up, hoping to ease the tension in the room. "When the Count breaks in, I'm unsure of where I should hide."

As if he was waiting for me to ask that question, Nick pulled out a sketch he had done of the entire castle's layout. "Since Count Borovsky was invited inside through the front door, it's possible that he might enter that way again tonight."

Right, he probably scoped out the entire entrance hall so he should at least be familiar with that area of the house. "So, I suggest you hide in the attic," Nick stated as he rolled up the sheet of paper.

"The attic..." I repeated with a groan. "I haven't been up there since..." I trailed off thinking about the horrific scene Atticus' body was left in. I shook my head to try and push the graphic image out of my head. "Are you sure about this? If he finds me up there, then I'll basically be cornered with nowhere left to run." I protested.

"I agree." Stefan chimed in. "It would be better if I took Vana and you stayed here to face off against the Count on your own." Okay, that I don't agree with. If we were to do that, then we'd more or less be leaving Nick to hang out and dry!

Nick paused thoughtfully as if he was considering Stefan's suggestion. He then spoke up to ask Stefan, "Stefan, would you be able to find Vana no matter where she was?"

"Of course! I can hear and smell Vana no matter how far away she is!" Stefan eagerly asserted.

"Then couldn't the Count do the same thing too?" Nick pointed out with satisfaction. Stefan narrowed his eyes in response. "If the Count can tell where Vana is at all times, then he'll simply follow her if she tries to run away from the house."

That would be bad for both of us. For me, it meant that Bennett could corner me at any second once we were outside. And for Nick? He'd have lost his only opportunity to stake the Count. Although after listening to Nick's words I didn't feel any better about the plan. If anything, I felt worse. Why should I bother hiding in the first place if Bennett will be able to sniff me out so easily? How futile...

As Stefan started to grit his teeth in irritation, he grabbed my hands as he went to drag me away. "Well, I'm not leaving Vana's side for a second. So don't even think about asking me to help you!" Stubborn as always, I see.

As the old grandfather clock proceeded to tick, I felt my anxiety start to build up. He could show up at any second now. And when that happens, he'll either be staked on the spot or I'll be as good as dead.

Sensing my worries as I burrowed my head into my hands, Stefan strolled towards me as to sit beside me on the bed and gently rub my back. "Don't worry, I'll protect you," Stefan whispered as to try and comfort me.

As we stared at each other in silence, Stefan suddenly perked his head around as if he heard something. I didn't have to ask to figure out what that noise meant. He's here.

As I clutched my chest I felt myself start to pant, Stefan slowly rose from the bed and carefully trailed his way towards the attic door. As I felt myself about to whine, I quickly covered my mouth with my hands.

As the silence only persisted, I used my left hand to search around for the stake I had taken with me from Nick's supplies. In the event that I have to fend for myself, this is sure to come in handy. But as fate would have it, as my trembling hand went to clutch it, I shakily dropped it to the floor with a loud thud. Ugh, is this the work of my unluckiness? I swear it's just one bad thing after the other...

For fuck's sake! I swore at myself. This was not good! Even Stefan was worried as his eyes widened as he guarded the door. I didn't move an inch from my spot as I was too scared to even dare and risk any more movement.

I thought perhaps I was in the clear as nothing, but silence followed. But just as I was about to celebrate an early victory, the attic door sprung open.

"Found you, Vicky~" Count Borovsky cooed.