41 | hadley

The ride to school is painful

I'm squished between Devon and Sloane in the middle row of Kai's parents' van. Conversation is awkward. I feel awkward, pressed up against my girlfriend and ex all at once. I replay the previous minutes in my head nonstop, watching the scene in my mind over and over again.

Devon was never supposed to see what she did, and I wish I could take it all back. If I had known she was going to show up like this, I never would have invited Sloane. I can't imagine what had gone through Devon's mind when she saw the two of us holding hands, but I can sense that it was nothing good. I'm battling an inner turmoil, torn between a million emotions all at once. I'm so happy to be reunited with Devon, but at the same time it's almost weird to have her by my side again. When I'd kissed her, it was like nothing else mattered. It was just she and I, two halfs becoming whole once more. But the second the moment had ended . . . everything had changed. It felt like I was watching my life fall apart before my eyes. Devon was no longer my other half, but instead the two of us became interlacing puzzle pieces breaking in two as our picture demolished.

Everything feels off somehow, as if time has begun moving at a different pace. I don't feel attached to reality as we stop to pick up Clover's date, then continue on our way to the dance. Nothing feels real. It's like I'm riding the wave of an acid trip, fighting to stay in touch with the present.

Tonight was supposed to go differently. Devon was supposed to be here all along–at least, that's how it was supposed to go before she moved away. She wasn't supposed to move. But she did. So all of my plans had taken a different course. I should have never invited Sloane. But I did. And I can't change anything, so I might as well stop thinking about everything I wish I could redo.

Why can't I stop thinking?

The vehicle comes to a stop before I know it. My friends are soon cheerfully climbing out of the car, excited to enter the building in the background. I can't seem to join in their enthusiasm, nor can I make myself move. I'm stuck in place, frozen in time.

Sloane opens her door, then shoots me a worried glance. I can physically feel her nerves, as if our souls are on the same wavelength. I ignore her stare, though I slide out of the car after her. Part of me wants to assure her that she's done nothing wrong; that her guilt is unwarranted. Another–very selfish–part of me wants to scream at her and ask why she must ruin everything. I know it's unfair of me to feel this way. I invited her, after all. But I can't seem to shake the fear that maybe Sloane knows exactly what she's doing.

Devon joins my side shortly, taking my hand in hers. Bianca and Grace pull into the parking space next to us, and then our group is walking toward the gymnasium doors, talking amongst ourselves.

The gym has been completely redesigned for the occasion. I take in the pretty lights and decorations with wide eyes, feeling the bass of loud music vibrate atop the floorboards beneath my feet. Devon and I weave through the large crowd hand-in-hand, and I try to find solace in her presence.