19 | hadley

The week passes by all too quickly, and it's the weekend before I know it

The week passes by all too quickly, and it's the weekend before I know it. Time flies when you're having fun, I remind myself in an attempt to lessen the pain of the realization that this is it–the last week of July has come, and my friends and I will be leaving this wonderous beach house come morning.

I've been selfish these last few days, spending nearly every second glued to Devon's side. She and I have explored the shore together and gushed over the beautiful sunsets, spent the nights awake into the early hours of the morning tangled between sheets, and roaming the boardwalk together hand-in-hand sharing secrets. I don't know what exactly has changed between the two of us this past week, though there has been quite an obvious growth in mine and Devon's relationship during this trip. We've become closer in ways I didn't know were even possible–I thought I knew Devon Parker like the back of my hand, and yet I've come to learn so much more about her over the duration of this trip.

"Okay," Mason says as she wanders out into the backyard, her voice snapping me out of my daydreaming–a bad habit of mine. "I got the goods."

Kai releases a loud whoop as he steps away from the bonfire to survey the large selection of alcohol Mason has smuggled from her uncle's hidden cabinet in the kitchen.

"Pick your poison," Mason taunts, smirking as she stares down the rest of us.

"I have a better idea," Kai retorts, grabbing the bottle of vodka from the wooden table placed before the beach chairs set up in a circle around the bonfire we have going. "Who's up for a round of Truth or Drink?"

"Oh my God," Clover chuckles from her seat next to me. "We haven't played that game in forever."

"Exactly," Kai says with a devilish grin. "We have a lot of catching up to do."

"I'm down," I speak up, shrugging as I smile over at my friends.

"Why not?" Mason agrees. Her hazel eyes gleam as the reflection of the flames dancing in the pit illuminate in her irises, making her appear almost dangerous as she grins with her teeth.

Clover sighs, though she's biting back a smile of her own. "You guys better have some good secrets."

I suddenly realize that Devon has yet to say a word. My gaze bounces over to her, as do the stares of our friends'. Devon raises her eyebrows upon noticing the four of us eyeing her. Though her expression appears nonchalant, I notice a tension in her shoulders that hadn't quite been there moments before.

"What do you say, Dev?" Kai questions, sauntering up to my girlfriend with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Don't you guys think we've outgrown that game?" Devon bites down on the corner of her lip, trying much too hard to come off as casual. Her gaze has clouded over, and it has nothing to do with the smoke drifting from the fire before her. I study her with furrowed brows, itching to know what has brought on her sudden shift in demeanor.

"What?" Kai mutters. "Do you have something to hide?"

Devon snorts, the sound forced. "No."

Kai smirks as he takes a seat in the empty chair across from Devon. "So you're in?"

I share a glance with Mason, watching the way her eyes bounce between Kai and Devon like she's sitting in the crowd of a very heated tennis match. It's rather obvious that there's tension in the air between Kai and Devon–a vibe I hadn't picked up on earlier in the week. It's no secret that Kai and Devon are close–probably the two closest within our little group–and yet I'm still clueless as to what might have gone down between the two to create such a rift.

"Fine." Devon's stare is hard as she holds Kai's gaze for a moment too long before forcing a smile and facing the rest of us. "Who's going first?"