Thirty seven | Damon

Start from the beginning

The game soon starts and I try to figure out how the sport plays. If I could count the amount of times they stepped outside the court, I'd be rich.

'Are they allowed to do that?' I whisper to the girl besides me and she gives me a confused look. 'They keep going outside the court, I mean.'

''Yea they can do that...under certain rules of course,' she laughs, 'have you not been to a game before?'

'No, we only became...friends...a couple days ago,' I take a sip from my coke. I'd rather say we're friends then admit that I'm practically stalking her.

'You keep straining the word friends,' she scoffs, 'do you mean a special kind of friend? Because my mind is starting to wonder with your choice of words,'

'No.' I loudly whisper before hitting her shoulder which makes her laugh under her breath before she takes her cup to drink whatever drink she ordered. 'But if I'm honest with you...I wish we where that type of 'friends"

She almost chokes on her drink. 'Oh so is she your crush? No. She is, for sure. I can tell by the fact that you're wearing her Jersey number and holding flowers,'

'Okay I'm going to be honest since you seem normal enough,' I give in, 'she doesn't know I'm here and she most likely doesn't want me to be here. I insulted something important to her so I want her to see that I'm not actually a dick,'

'She doesn't know you're here?' She blinks at me, 'well she's staring at you so I think she does now.'

Quickly looking away from the girl I try to find Brylan before spotting her. She's staring right at me yet she shockingly isn't angry. Or at least doesn't look angry. I don't remember hearing a half time bell so I mustn't have been listening since they're all at the bench.

'The halftime was so short,' I make a comment.

'Because it's not halfway through, they get a five minute interval between each game,' she tries to explain to me which only makes me realize how little I actually know about any sport besides basketball and rugby. 'There's three games...or two since it's best to three and right now our team is losing but it's only the first game so it's okay,'

'Jeez five minutes is so short,' I mumble. If halftime in basketball was only five minutes I'd be exhausted during the second half.

'What sport do you play?' She raises her eyebrows, 'you seem to be getting the volleyball rules confused with different sports—is it basketball? You seem really tall just by sitting down,'

'No I do gymnastics.' I drink from my cup whilst giving her a serious look and she tries to hide her shock which makes me shake my head. I cannot help but smile at the fact that she genuinely believed me.

Rolling her eyes she sighs in relief, 'I was so confused since you're not built like a gymnast so I couldn't tell if you where fucking with me or not,'

Nodding in an attempt to end the conversation I want to pay attention to Brylan. She's the reason why I drive three hours at 6am so I kind of want to see if she's good.

Watching as shes passed the ball from a teammate I'm assuming she's serving and I almost flinch when she hits the ball. She does it so aggressively but it goes fast over the net at the opposite team doesn't catch it in time. They give eachother confused looks and I'm even confused myself since she ddint serve like that before. All her hits seem a lot more aggressive but at least the opposing team I struggling to get it back over the net.