23

Signora struck once and Childe struck back. With each move made the other retaliated. Their duel was lasting hours. Many people had already grown tired and fallen asleep in the stands. Zhongli watched the whole time, observing each move with his gaze even when some appeared to be too fast to witness. 

"He has a bit of stamina, hm?" Diluc chuckled. 

"You've flirted with the emperor's royal spouse enough, haven't you?" Albedo adjusted Klee on his lap so he would regain consciousness in his leg. She was sleeping soundly. 

"Where's Venti?" Diluc felt his entire body tense. 

"Causing trouble somewhere, I assume. Wasn't it your turn to watch him? Oh, right, I forgot, you were too busy flirting with a married man," Albedo was tempted to roll his eyes for effect but Diluc would see through him. It was hard to mimic emotions with accuracy. 

"I should never have given you permission to speak freely," Diluc sighed. 

"Where is the fun in that?" Albedo's head tilted slightly. 

"You're nothing but a fake but you've kept up with me so well," Signora wiped the sweat from her brow with the back of her hand. "I'm impressed." 

"Whether or not I am a fake means nothing," Childe smacked the pole down on Signora's leg enough to make her kneel. "The truth of the matter is that I am the Emperor. You will either follow me or face the consequences. This has always been the arrangement," Childe's eyes appeared slightly crazed as he spoke. Signora shivered, remembering Tartaglia. "Do you want to side with me or stay against me, La Signora?" He pointed the pole at her throat. "Are you satisfied?" He picked up Signora's weapon with his and threw it behind him along with his own. Both damaged the flooring of the arena, sticking straight up. His eyes raged at the audience. "I asked if you were satisfied." 

The individuals snapped awake from the bloodlust and stood up, bowing. "I am the Emperor of Fatui," Childe seethed. "Do. Not. Doubt. Me. Again." He slammed his foot down into the ground, creating a small crater with the impact. 

Childe reached his hand out for Signora to grab. "Are you going to join me or not?" he asked her so no one would hear. 

"Do I have a choice?" 

"You do." 

"Then I suppose in the very least joining you will be far more entertaining," Signora grabbed his hand and stood up. 

"Signora has proven herself a valiant and skilled warrior!" Childe raised her hand up in the air. 

"What are you doing?!" she struggled against his grip. 

"And I am well pleased!" he grinned. "So, I shall grant her an official spot on my council of treasured officials." 

"You can't do that-" 

"I'm the emperor, Signora, I can do as I damn well please," he grinned. "Besides, we've been needing a new treasurer." 

"It looks as if I owe you a favor," Diluc stood up, as did Albedo. 

"It looks as if you do," Zhongli stood up and descended the walkway. He stepped onto the railing and leaped over the edge, landing perfectly beside Childe. 

"You're done flirting with the King then?" Childe released Signora's hand and walked with Zhongli out of the arena. 

"You're done flirting with Signora then?" Zhongli replied. 

"That's not what I was doing." 

"Hmm." 

"It wasn't, Highness!" 

"Regardless, the King of Mondstadt now owes me a favor." 

"Are you going to claim that favor...?" Childe panicked, thinking only the worst. What if they went on a date? What if Zhongli secretly had a thing for redheads? He said, knowing full and well he was a ginger.

"If the need arises," Zhongli chuckled, linking his arm with Childe's. 

"I'm covered in sweat, Highness, it'll ruin your clothes..." he said, but didn't avoid Zhongli's touch. 

"Perhaps we may find a better way to ruin my clothes," Zhongli smiled. 

"Highness, don't tease me!" Childe flushed, feeling the entirety of his body grow weak at the suggestion. 

"I mean what I say, Your Majesty," Zhongli kissed Childe's cheek. "Appearances mean little to me. I'm more attracted to strength," he whispered by his ear. "I enjoy when a strong individual melts in my touch," Zhongli moved his hand down Childe's bare chest. "Shall we get you cleaned, Your Majesty?" 

"I'm beginning to think making a mess of me is what you'd prefer," Childe's breath hitched.