17

The further into the woods they went the thicker the fog appeared to be. "This is a waste of time," Diluc scoffed, grumbling to himself. 

Zhongli reached his hand up to cover Childe's mouth with his sleeve. "Don't inhale the smoke directly. There is something wrong with the way it smells." Childe nodded and moved his hand to his mouth, as did the king and the abyss herald. 

"This is...a cottage?" Diluc hesitantly opened the door and a gust of the odd smoke escaped. Kaeya lay on the ground with his hands tied behind his back. His clothes were ragged and there were wounds and bite marks (from what looked like dogs) all along his body. The abyss herald pushed Diluc aside and rushed to Kaeya, untying him. His visible eye opened slightly. 

"D...Dainsleif?" he muttered, almost incoherent. 

"My prince...why did you run? Why did you leave....to get yourself into such a state..." Dainsleif's mind wandered. He moved to pick up Kaeya but Kaeya used what little energy he had left to avoid him. 

"I am not fit to be a ruler of the Abyss Order. I've always thought..." he closed his eye. "That you should be...Dain..." 

"You may scold me later," Dainsleif picked up Kaeya and held him tightly. He ignored the emperor and king entirely and exited the strange cottage. He looked over his shoulder and glared at Childe. "If I find that you have attempted to deceive me in any way today, I will not think twice before destroying you and your entire empire." 

"Ah..." Childe sighed, holding his palm to his forehead. "Are you going to threaten me as well, King Diluc?" 

"You are not like the rumors have described you," Diluc lead the way back to Childe's palace. "However, your spouse," Diluc stared at Zhongli, "is exactly as the rumors have described him." 

"My rumors depict me as ruthless and cruel to the potential concubines," Zhongli stated. 

"Elegant and wise," Diluc corrected. "The people of Mondstadt hold you in high esteem and after meeting you, I understand why. If you believe in the Emperor of Fatui, then I shall trust your judgment." 

"I thank you kindly," Zhongli nodded. 

Diluc ceased walking for a moment and grabbed Zhongli's hand, bowing slightly and kissing it. "If the emperor doesn't treat you well, feel free to enter Mondstadt. I hope to have amicable relations with Liyue." 

"Ahem," Childe cleared his throat. "Are you attempting to swindle my spouse away, King Diluc?" 

"A man like you," Diluc ceased holding Zhongli's hand, "I'm unsure if you're worthy of such a prize." 

"And you are?" Childe couldn't suppress a laugh. 

"Yes," Diluc replied, matter-of-factly. 

Once they were out of the weird fog, Zhongli stopped and stared up at the sky. "What would you do if you could catch the moon?" he asked, folding his hands behind his back. 

"Destroy it," Diluc answered without a second thought. "I would use its resources to expand my kingdom." 

"I see," Zhongli continued walking, "then, unfortunately, King of Mondstadt, you are not one to speak of who is worthy of me." 

"What?" Diluc walked a bit faster to catch up. "Did I answer incorrectly?" Zhongli smiled slightly, not providing a response. Meanwhile, Childe was too stunned to speak or continue walking. The pink fox circled his legs, trying to get his attention and snap him out of his daze. 

Childe grabbed his chest, feeling his heartbeat increase. "Eh?" he looked down at his hand, not realizing that it was wrapped in a handkerchief until this moment. When did Zhongli do this? Was it back in the throne room?