18

"That can't be true..." Childe muttered. "How could that be true?" 

"I'll investigate the matter," Zhongli assured. "I'm sure the Chief Secretary-"

Childe looked up at Zhongli. "If I'm his older twin...wouldn't that make me the real emperor?" 

"Mm," Zhongli nodded, lifting his hand to pet Childe's hair. "You're catching on quickly." 

Childe grabbed Zhongli's hand and pulled it away. He sat up and pulled Zhongli's arm so he'd fall into him. "Then..."

"Yes, Your Majesty, that would mean I am not his royal spouse but yours." Zhongli rested his hand on Childe's cheek. "Although-"

"Although?" Childe panicked. 

"My dear, let me finish," Zhongli moved his hand to place his fingers on Childe's lips. "Although," he began again, "I was never really his, you see?" 

"Do you...care for me?" 

"Yes," Zhongli chuckled. "What would make you think otherwise?"

"Highness," Childe wrapped his arms around him and couldn't stop himself from sobbing into his chest. "Highness!" 

"Yes, what is it?" Zhongli asked, patting his head lightly. 

"Is it alright for me to love you?" 

Zhongli remained quiet. Childe continued sobbing into his chest as his hair was pet by Zhongli. 

"I wouldn't have it any other way, my dear." 

"Even if I was raised a commoner? Even if I turn into some evil man just like him? Is it alright for me to love you?" Childe looked up. Zhongli smiled down at him. 

"I told you, I would not let that come to pass. Don't you trust me?" Zhongli leaned down and kissed his forehead. 

"I trust you more than I trust myself. I love you more than life itself." Zhongli continued petting his head as Childe spoke. "Is it okay for you to sleep here tonight?" 

"Your Majesty, are you forgetting that you're the ruler here?" Zhongli chuckled. "You may do whatever you wish and request whatever you wish as well."

"I do not wish to do anything unless you wish it," Childe nuzzled his face into Zhongli's chest and rested his eyes. "I may love you but that doesn't mean my feelings are returned. I do appreciate that you care for me but-" 

Zhongli placed his hand under Childe's chin and lifted his head. He opened his eyes once he felt lips on his own. Zhongli's eyelashes were always beautiful but this close-up they made his heart flutter tenfold. He could feel the intensity of his heart in his chest. 

"Forgive me," Zhongli pulled away far enough to speak but his lips still grazed Childe's as he talked. "I could not think of another way to make my feelings plain. I could tell you a thousand times how numerous my feelings are and I believe you'd find a way to ignore them. Is it so hard to see that someone may care for you?" 

"You shouldn't have kissed me," Childe said but moved his hand to the base of Zhongli's neck, tempted to slam their faces together again. "It'll be harder to hold back if you kiss me." 

"What are you holding back for?" 

"There is still a chance I'm not Ajax," Childe replied. 

"Have you considered, that perhaps I don't care at all?" 

"But, if Tartaglia finds out...and I'm not Ajax...something terrible may happen to you." 

Zhongli closed his eyes and sighed. "Very well." He stood up and glided over to the emperor's bed. He carefully disrobed from his garments and picked up one of Childe's many sleeping robes. His long hair flowed behind him as Childe stared. "Have you changed your mind? Did you not want me to sleep here?" 

Childe stood up and fumbled over his feet to the bed. He struggled to strip off his clothing. Zhongli chuckled lightly, forced to assist him. His fingers gently brushed against his skin, making Childe self-conscious of his body. 

"Are you nervous, Your Majesty?" 

"Highness, anything you do makes my heart flutter." 

"I'm flattered but there is nothing to be worried about. You wanted to sleep and nothing else." 

"I know, I know, but...my body is..." 

"Very similar to Tartaglia's; however, not identical in every way..." Zhongli placed his hand on Childe's chest. "No one else would be able to tell the difference but there is something..." He moved his hand down Childe's torso. "Something distinct." Realizing his fascination might cause discomfort, Zhongli removed his hand. He helped Childe into his robe and then laid down on the bed. 

"Thank you, for staying with me," Childe scooted closer to Zhongli and clung to him. Zhongli soothed him, running his hand through his hair just as before. Childe rested his face in Zhongli's chest, now bare, due to the night robe. His breath felt hot against his bare skin. 

"I don't mind staying with you but don't test my patience," Zhongli warned. "If you aren't careful, I won't be able to hold myself back." 

"One day soon," Childe closed his eyes, "I should like to see your inability to hold back." He smiled, falling asleep in Zhongli's arms.