40. Not So Normal Thanksgiving

Start from the beginning

"He already has scouts lined up." My father interrupts Vince with a cold tone. "And if my son needs anything, I have a few connections myself."

I looked towards my dad to see his eyes narrowed, dangerously zeroed in on Vince who held up his hands, apologetically.

"No need for hostility, Vaughn."

"I wasn't being hostile," My father shrugs simply, picking at his food. "I'm just letting you know that Mercer doesn't need your help."

"Vaughn." Grandma speaks up, giving dad a quizzical look. "Don't be so rude." Her motherly tone comes to the forefront.

I sighed, shaking my head. I truly didn't know how we were going to get through thanksgiving peacefully.

Once dinner comes to an end with the intense tension, I noticed my mother swiftly excuse herself, asking Jules to help her with the dishes. Grandma goes to help to leave all the men in the room together.

"How are you doing Adrian?" Vince asked, taking a sip of the cool beer he had. "Any sports?"

I could practically feel the anger rubbing off on my father. But was I surprised by the way he was acting? No. He hated Vince and I believed he had some hatred towards our mother for what they both did. But I still never understood why they didn't get a divorce.

"No," Adrian sits up in his chair. "Never was interested to be an athlete."

Vince frowns, humming. "And why is that? From here I can see you have the physical appearance to play in any sport like your brother, Mercer."

Adrian frowns and I couldn't help but glare at him. I didn't like what he just said. Just before Adrian could speak, I spoke up not caring at all about the snippy tone.

"Maybe he just doesn't want to play. Don't do that shit."

"Watch your mouth, Mercer." Grandpa warns with a firm tone.

"I didn't mean any trouble-"

"What are you doing here?" I interrupted him, not caring about the crap that was about to leave out of his mouth.

"Mercer-" My father begins.

"To cause more trouble?" I continued, ignoring him.

Vince says nothing, only stares at me with a guarded look. He may want to play off as if he didn't do the family wrong but I wasn't. I know it wasn't the time or place but he was pushing me.

"You got something you really want to say to me, Mercer?" Vince says, leaning back against his chair with a calm expression on his face.

I didn't trust him one bit.

I opened my mouth to speak when suddenly, Jules comes back in from the kitchen. "Mercer. Adrian. We need your help."

Great and I was ready to let out all this pent up anger. I was fucking tired of being blamed for everything and for shit I didn't do.

With one hard glare, I scoffed at the sight of Vince as he watches me closely like he was warning me to calm down. Like I was going to listen to anything the fucker had to say. What did he think was going to happen when he walked in here? After all these years, he think everything was perfect.

It wasn't.

"Come on, Mercer." Adrian's voice meets my ears and I take a few breaths before standing to my feet and grabbing my plate.

Entering the kitchen while ignoring the stares of my father, grandpa, and cousin Vince, I found my mother pouring herself a glass of wine, drinking it quickly. Her fingers shook and I could tell that she was uncomfortable being in the same room with the man she screwed.