39. Unexpected Visits

After an hour and fifty-five minutes of dreadful flight from Durant Oklahoma, we finally made it to Colorado Springs, Colorado

I stared out the window of the rental car in the backseat with my headphones in my ears, muffling out the noise around me. I wasn't listening to anything though. Adrian had his in too but was typing on his phone with a frustrated look on his face. My guess was Skylar.

I've noticed during the things that have been happening around me that a distance was beginning to form between the two. To my understanding, she no longer allows him to sneak over to her house and stay the night if he needed an escape.

They had their fights before but this one I assumed was different. They fight one day and make up the next. But it's nearly been a week of back and forth. Maybe longer but they were not on the same page.

Jules, however, had her headphones in while blushing at something hard on her phone, her fingers swiping up the screen and I figured it was one of those cheesy romance books she was reading on her Kindle app.

I remember the day I caught her reading a book. Never in a million years did I think my little innocent sister would be reading about bondage and handcuffs and shit. It was ruining her innocence and revolting that my sister was increasing her imagination.

"You're parents will be happy to see the kids." I heard my mother say for only my dad to hear.

He nods slowly, keeping his focus on the road.

She sighs, shaking her head. "Are we going to play the happy couple that's desperately in love with each other again?"

"Can we just drive in peace without arguing?" The agitation in his voice was clear.

"Fine." My mother mutters, turning back in her seat to look out the window. I don't miss the tears gliding down her face as she watches the scenery.

Forcing my attention outside, I closed my eyes, trying to find quiet peace but I couldn't. There were a lot of things on my mind. Red is at the top.

How was she?

What was she doing for Thanksgiving?

So many questions about her filled my mind and it was able to keep me distracted as we finally arrived at my grandparents' house. The moment we pulled into the big driveway, my grandmother opened the door and walked out excitedly as if she was watching from her window.