Chapter 13

MJ's POV

Michelle Jones Watson. She of course preferred Michelle Jones, or MJ. She has been a loner for most of her life, she left people thinking she was a mystery, and that's how she liked it. She didn't like getting close to people ever since her dad and mom got divorced. She didn't use the last name, Watson, because she felt like using her dad's last name took away some of her independence.

Her parents divorced when she was 5. She was devastated of course, what little kid wouldn't be? She had a healthy relationship with both her parents, they just didn't have a healthy relationship with each other. MJ was too young to realize how cruel her dad was to her mother, but as she grew up she began remembering how heated and brutal their arguments were, and began to really understand how unhealthy their relationship was.

MJ used to be close to her dad, and he loved her much more than she thought she deserved. But when he moved to Newark, they started talking less, and less, to the point where they stopped talking altogether, something that deeply hurt MJ. That was what started her fear of getting close to people..., until now... sorta. MJ was afraid of getting too close to people, since she was scared that eventually they'd end up leaving her, and forget about her completely.

MJ only had 4 friends, who of course was Ned Leeds, one of the sweetest, dorkiest people she's ever met. Harry Osborn, the most generous rich kid in the world. John Jameson, the boy who was the farthest thing from his asshole father. And Peter Parker. He was genuinely a nice person by nature, but he was a total loser. He was awkward, dorky, strange, dog-like, undependable, irresponsible... and MJ was without a doubt irrevocably crushing on him.

Michelle Jones, cool, independent, badass, feminist, had been crushing on this short, cute, awkward, dorky loser since 8th grade. Not at first of course, she didn't care for him at first. It all started the day she saw this short, scrawny, brainy, kid stand up for a 7th grader, who Flash was picking on and ended up getting beaten up for it. She was kinda impressed that he had the courage to stand up to Flash, knowing he wouldn't win.

MJ didn't know why, but she saw Peter differently after that. She began noticing certain things about him. The tape holding his thick glasses together, his gelled hair that would always be neat at the beginning of the day, and would become messy by the end day, the baggy clothes he wore over his scrawny body, how flustered he'd get when he talked to a girl, his v neck sweaters, and crappy science/math/physics pun t-shirts he'd wear.

Then after the field trip to Stark Industries last year, she noticed even more changes from Peter. He no longer wore his thick broken glasses giving MJ full view of his big brown puppy dog eyes, his clothes were less baggy and seemed to fit him perfectly, he did a lot better in gym class, he seemed a tinsy bit more confident, still awkward as hell though. Then after he lost his uncle, he was completely different. He even almost beat up Flash, when he tried to offer his condolences. She tried to comfort him by hugging him even though they hadn't really known each other that well, but he rejected her. She understood what he was going through, but she didn't know how to help, since no one ever really helped her. She noticed Peter becoming more distant, sad, and angry. He always had his hoodie covering his face, she could tell when he had just finished crying sometimes from his red puffy eyes, and his knuckles would sometimes be bruised, and so would his face.

Then came sophomore year, MJ spent most of September trying to become friends with Ned and Peter. That's when she found out about Peter's crush on Liz, and that absolutely killed her. She didn't blame him. Liz was beautiful, smart, funny, and really nice, she's the kinda girl any guy would want. MJ tried hiding her crush, by constantly pointing out Peter's flaws, and calling him a loser, all things that were true of course. That's when she discovered all his flaws, all his dorkiness, and his loser-ness were all things she liked about him.