Forced Habits (5)

"Everyone thinks that we're perfect, please don't let them look through the curtains.

Beep Beep
Beep Beep
Beep Beep

A repetitive sound awoke me.
I pressed the button on the side of the watch, stopping the sound immediately.

1:25AM

My eyes widened.
"crap" I whispered to myself

He said 1:30AM didn't he?! I'm gonna be late!

With light speed, I ran over to the window and swung it open, jumping out in an instant.

The lake is about fifteen minutes away, i'll never make it!

I bolted through the streets, cold rain hitting my face like needles as I realised I had forgotten my umbrella.

I wiped my face with my sleeve, trying to dry my face but as soon as I did so, more harsh drops of rain made their way onto my face.

It was a miracle that I hadn't fallen over by now, I was running down a slippery sidewalk, trying desperately to make it to the lake in time.

I looked down at my watch.
1:29AM

"agh!"
I let out a frustrated scream as I saw the time, I was nearing the lake but there was no way I was going to make it there in a single minute!

After a little more running, I got a sharp pain in my side, but that didn't stop my determination.

Finally, I saw the lake, along with the light illuminating from the decorated tree.

I looked at my watch.
1:33AM

Oh god this is going to be bad!
I thought to myself.
If I was ever late to anything in my life i'd be severely punished by my father, no matter how late I was, even if it was just a minute. That's why I was afraid, because all my life I had been taught that being uncoordinated meant I was going to get very. badly. hurt.

I ran up to the tree.

"SHOTO!"
I yelled, my voice cracking slightly.

I dropped down onto my knees in front of where he was sitting, he looked at me with a genuine look of concern and worry.

As I dropped down my head looked at the ground too.

I tried to speak, my voice sounding panicked and scared as tears formed in my eyes.
"Shoto! I'm so, so sorry for being late! I just- I woke up and saw the time and I didn't even realise how late it was and i'm s-"

I was cut off as I felt a soft and gentle hand on my shoulder.
"You don't have to apologise Y/N, it's only three minutes."

His voice caught me off guard, I jerked my head up to look at him and realised that he wasn't angry, that he wasn't going to hurt me.

"Y-you're not mad?"
I asked, my voice shaky and croaky. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I sniffled.

"Of course not, why would I be mad?"
His eyes flashed with worry and curiosity.

"Because i'm late and that's horrible! A-and when you're late you have to get hurt!"
My voice was shaking, wondering why he wasn't mad.

"Y/N, being late isn't that bad. Especially when it's just a few minutes." He rubbed my shoulder reassuringly. "You don't have to get hurt when you're late? Who taught you that, Y/N?"