Chapter 18 - Thank you

(Alyssa POV)

I thought about texting James to say thank you for his attempt at the Pavlova but considering the amount of effort he put into it I figured I should at least say thank you in person. 

I woke up early this morning, and from what I can remember I'm pretty sure James has trainings on Saturday mornings, and the last thing I want to do is interrupt him there. So to bide my time I went to the gym and then to the café Lucy took me to and got myself my usual blueberry cream cheese muffin and an iced latte. It's a nice day out today with a warm breeze. I use this as my excuse to walk very slowly to James' house, it usually takes me about half an hour to walk there when I'm walking with a purpose. Walking with a purpose defined as when you're busting for the bathroom kind of purpose..

After I take the last bite of my muffin I drop my coffee cup and paper bag in a bin I pass on the footpath. I'm closing in on James' flat and I'm hit with the sudden urge to turn and run. I feel the anxiety induced somersaults kicking off in my stomach with each step I take closer to the house. I stop when I'm a few feet away, my feet not allowing me to go any further.

What are you doing Alyssa?

I'm backing up now, left foot, right foot, until I'm standing partially hidden by a hedge on the corner of the sidewalk.

I don't think I can do this.

I hear footsteps coming up behind me and I step to the side turning to get out of the way for the pedestrian when I'm hit full force in the face by a moving brick wall, a brick wall that has that same intoxication sandalwood scent that ignites all my senses. I'm brought back into the real world when I stumble back and land on the concrete path, grazing the palm of my hand.

"Ouch, fuck" I hiss, pain shooting through my hand and warm blood seeping through the grazed skin.

"Alyssa? Oh fuck, Alyssa!"

James stands over me, worry etched into his face as his eyes scan the precious liquid leaving my body. He's wearing navy Nike shorts and is shirtless, his tank tucked into the back of his shorts.  His glorious torso is on display and is glimmering with beads of sweat, if my breath wasn't knocked out of my by the fall it definitely is now, he is a fucking sight. I can't stop my eyes from their assault on his body, every muscle contracting with his movements. He's out of breath, and I can put two and two together that he's been out running.

James removes his head phones and kneels down to me on the ground, picking my hand up to assess the damage he's caused. The burn in my hand has nothing on the burn his touch creates on contact.

"I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going, I was so close to home.. I didn't..."

He looks flustered at seeing me and unsure of what to say.

"It's okay, I was just coming to say thank you for my Pavlova and to return your plate." I make a move to get my bag so I can return his plate but he stops me, pressing my hand down.

"Come on, we have to clean your hand anyways, come inside." I don't argue, I let him help me up and guide me to his familiar house.

James sits me at the dining table while he goes to the bathroom for the first aid box. I feel on edge being back here, like Reece is going to pop out and see I'm here. James returns shortly after, and to my delight he's still half naked.

No Alyssa, you're not allowed to look. Snap out of it!

"Pass me your hand." he instructs, though his tone is gentle. He takes my hand in his and dabs a piece of cotton wool on what I assume to be disinfectant before gently pressing it against my flesh earning a hiss from me.